EGR valve

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

EGR valve

Post by SoobyToo58 »

I have a few question about EGR Valves!
My Baja has 116K miles and I've never given any thought to my EGR. I don't know how old it is, if it's ever been replaced or if age is a possible problem or if its age reduces gas mileage.
I bought the vehicle with 94K miles in 2017 and it was basically running well. Except for the transmission there hasn't been any problem that turned out to be a major expense since I bought it.
I replaced leaking Valve Cover Gaskets, Plugs and PCV last year and my Ignition Coil, Wires and Plugs last summer. I replaced my Starter about 4 months ago and I just replaced my Water Pump and Timing Belt and Radiator. I've replaced my Air Filter twice and I change my oil regularly. I had my transmission rebuilt about a year and a half ago but that's another story!
The vehicle seems to be running well now.
How can I determine if my EGR is functioning properly?
If it is not functioning properly can I clean it or do anything to get it functioning properly or is this a part that must be replaced with a new one?
Does anyone know if a used EGR Valve from a scrap yard vehicle can be cleaned and reused? Does it even make sense to do that in the first place?
Is there anything else about the EGR I should be thinking about and considering?
Oh! One more question. How often should my Transmission Fluid & Filter be changed?
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: EGR valve

Post by kamesama980 »

If you don't have a code for the EGR system not working, don't worry about it. It won't hurt fuel economy unless it's grossly messed up but you'll notice the terrible idle quality long before it bothers your fuel economy. This isn't the 70s anymore trying to bolt 1st gen electronic emissions crap onto a carb or even the 80s when they were somewhat discrete systems. These days EGR is pretty transparent and reliable.

Do you have an owner's manual in the glove box? it'll have the maintenance schedule. probably in the 30k mile range though. I try to avoid autos so I'm not sure.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back