Oil consumption seems excessive.

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

TrentRoogna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Oil consumption seems excessive.

Post by TrentRoogna »

What is normal oil consumption for a Baja?

I have an 06 NA 5-spd and I've never been able to fully pin down it's rate of consumption, but it seems to be about 1700-2000 miles before the dipstick is dry.
My truck currently has 120k miles, but this issue has existed since I purchased it in 2011 with 43k miles.

The oil level warning light stopped working a LONG time ago. A mechanic looked at it and proclaimed no leaks, so the missing oil is being burned. The head gaskets were done in 2013 (I think) but the issue existed both before and after that service.

My current system is to track oil miles on a trip meter and carry a gallon jug of oil in the bed to supplement the reserve every 1500 or so.

However, I would love to know if this is a *my* Baja problem or an *all bajas* problem.

Any advice of a system less reliant on my memory is also welcome.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Oil consumption seems excessive.

Post by ZUBAJA »

It's something with your engine. Many manufacturers consider a (1) quart of oil in 1,000 miles "acceptable". I don't. Some of my subies may use a half a quart between oil changes (3,000 miles).
Now you say "no reading on the dipstick". I sure wouldn't let it get that far. What are we talking, 3 quarts? And this has been since 40,000 some odd miles?
When head gaskets were done, were the rest of the heads serviced? Valve job, Valve stem seals?
Do you do your own work? Things to check: PCV valve. Pull it, inspect it, if any question, replace it. Does it rattle? Pull the plugs. Do any have a heavy tannish powdery looking buildup? That's a sign of a cylinder that's burning oil. With engine idling, remove the oil fill cap. Is there fumes or vapor blowing out? This is blowby and it is combustion that is getting past the rings. A compression check might also identify a cylinder that is low on compression.
You could have (note: COULD) a ring problem. Possibly even from the factory. Broken ring, maybe ring gaps not spaced properly. Build up in ring grooves. When I did the heads on my 06 (Forester), I went ahead and pulled the little plugs and the plate and removed the piston pins, and pulled the pistons. Al 4 had some carbon build up in the grooves. All the ring gaps were well within spec (engine had 180K + on it). I cleaned all the grooves, cleaned the back side (inside) of each ring, and reassembled it. I did not have any oil consumption issues. Dennis
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

Dennis: What terrific advice! Thank you for sharing all that. It's guidance and advice like that that makes this forum such a great resource.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

You're most welcome. While I am still "learning" Subarus, much of mechanical diagnosis is the same. I have been active on an other site, Planetisuzoo for over 8 years, and I have a pretty good handle on the comings and goings of the older Isuzus, particularly the 2.3 and 2.6 4 cylinder engines and drivetrains.
I also have 35 years with the Fleet Maintenance Department of the City of St Petersburg Florida. I did a little of everything in that department from small engines, to cars and light trucks, to heavy trucks and heavy equipment. I held an ASE Master Certification, although I let that lapse my final year (I retired December of 2018. I currently am "THE" fleet mechanic for St Pete Beach, a separate, smaller community. I have around 40 vehicles in my current fleet, not counting smaller mowing equipment. It's just me. Anyway, people come to these forms looking for answers, and if I can help, I'm glad to. As I have mentioned, I have had 6 Subarus (I may have thought it was 7 :roll:). These ranged from a 1998 Forester with the DOHC, to a 2010 Forester. All are NA engines, a turbo is probably okay, but from my previous experience (WAYYYYYYY back with Corvairs), a turbo can be extra maintenance and expense. Dennis
TrentRoogna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TrentRoogna »

Sadly I don't do my own work. So my answer to most of your questions is 'i don't know'.

But thanks for the list of what to check!

I get that having a dry dipstick is bad, which is why I track miles carry extra oil. The major flaw in system is me remembering to check every so often.

It started making a new noise just last night, while easy to determine ( clutch/flywheel cause it only happens when idling in neutral with the pedals untouched) it's still pretty terrifying cause I had those replaced (after total failure) not even 6 months ago.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

TrentRoogna wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:29 am Sadly I don't do my own work. So my answer to most of your questions is 'i don't know'.

But thanks for the list of what to check!

I get that having a dry dipstick is bad, which is why I track miles carry extra oil. The major flaw in system is me remembering to check every so often.

It started making a new noise just last night, while easy to determine ( clutch/flywheel cause it only happens when idling in neutral with the pedals untouched) it's still pretty terrifying cause I had those replaced (after total failure) not even 6 months ago.
Actually that doesn't really point to the clutch assembly unless it goes away when you push in the clutch. With your foot off the pedal, the clutch, flywheel, and pilot bearing are matched together and the throwout bearing should not be under load. Does the noise go away when you push the clutch down? is it immediate with putting any pressure on the clutch pedal or when you get the clutch all the way pushed down or is there some (even 1/8s) delay afterward?
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
TrentRoogna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TrentRoogna »

It does go away when I press the clutch to about the 3/4 position (which is where the gears disengage normally).

Sounds like a rythmic scraping. Actually, sounds almost exactly like 'waited to long to replace brake pads sound' just at a higher rate and occurrs when vehicle is stationary.

--> my descriptions are probably disgusting the seasoned mechanics on here. (Sry)
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Not here to judge. If the noise stops when you push the clutch pedal down (to disengage point), this could be a transmission input shaft bearing. The input shaft turns when driving (any gear, and clutch pedal up) and it turns when tranny is in neutral with clutch out (sometimes they turn with the clutch pedal depressed and tranny in neutral. Does the noise change any if you LIGHTLY push down on the clutch pedal? (as in not all the way down - more like riding the clutch).
Now, there should be a yellow plastic transmission dipstick on the passenger side of the car, behind the engine. They can be hard to find if dirty. Either pull it and check the tranny fluid (yes, even on a manual), or have your mechanic check it. This is the fluid level for the front transaxle.
Dennis
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

TrentRoogna wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:34 am It does go away when I press the clutch to about the 3/4 position (which is where the gears disengage normally).

Sounds like a rythmic scraping. Actually, sounds almost exactly like 'waited to long to replace brake pads sound' just at a higher rate and occurrs when vehicle is stationary.

--> my descriptions are probably disgusting the seasoned mechanics on here. (Sry)
Bad news: I'm with Zubaja... sounds like something in the trans itself. If it goes away when the clutch disengages the trans gears, it's not likely to be the clutch.
-Russell
03 sport 5mt
TrentRoogna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TrentRoogna »

Ok.
Did what Zubaja said and check that dipstick, and oh crap it's dry.
Might explain why a 6 month old clutch feels like a 6 year old one.
I got oil for it and can put in more, but don't have the ability to perform a system cleaning myself or even draining the old.

I feel a little odd that I've asked before for checks the trans fluid levels and they just say 'it's a stick you don't have that'.

Getting really worried this is traveling outside my ability to fix/pay for. Only way I was able to get it out of storage and running was from the insurance payout when my corolla was hit by a tree.
-you read that right- The tree was the thing that was moving.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Sadly, some places just don't understand Subarus. I actually had to replace the transaxle in my 98 Forester for the same reason (dry axle fluid). That one was an automatic, and because of dirt and buildup, I couldn't see the yellow axle dip stick (until it was too late)
FWIW: Way back, my 1965 Corvair had an axle dipstick too. Dennis
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Sadly most places are just idiots regardless of brand. I've worked in a couple shops, even dealerships... That's why I work on my own stuff (besides that I'm cheap)

Add fluid half a quart at a time to the dipstick hole till it's reading close. too much won't hurt it, just leak out and make a mess.

Any high schools or community colleges near you with auto tech programs (not so much for-profit schools like UTI)? Even if you don't want to attend, a lot of times they'll take outside work at a much cheaper price because students get experience from it. Having been through such a program it's not much more risky than going to a shop because the kids actually read the directions to find out what to do and the teachers are around.
-Russell
03 sport 5mt