Roof Rack Removal!

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Roof Rack Removal!

Post by SoobyToo58 »

I'm looking to remove the Roof Rack rails on a wrecked Baja that a friend has. I'm referring to the rails that are mounted directly and permanently to the roof on top of which the Cross Members slide forward & backward. I was considering installing them on the top of my ARE Cap to extend the total length of the whole Roof Rack.
Can anyone tell me how they can be removed? I'm assuming the mounting hardware connects to the rails from the inside of the vehicle and I would have to remove the interior headliner to get at them but I don't want to do that unless there's no other way.
Does anyone know how they are attached to the roof or has anyone done this themselves?
Last edited by SoobyToo58 on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Roof Rack Removal!

Post by Guacamole »

In order to remove the actual rails for the crossbars, you will have to remove the interior trim from the roof pillars up and including the interior ceiling foam panel, then you can get to the screws that hold the rails down. You will also have to remove the plastic trim around the rear window to get the final screw out.
Attachments
baja_roof_rail.JPG
baja_roof_rail.JPG (111.2 KiB) Viewed 14373 times
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

Guacamole wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:37 pm In order to remove the actual rails for the crossbars, you will have to remove the interior trim from the roof pillars up and including the interior ceiling foam panel, then you can get to the screws that hold the rails down. You will also have to remove the plastic trim around the rear window to get the final screw out.
Hey, Thanks a lot!
Looks like this is exactly what I need. Do you know offhand what size nuts those are that need to be removed? Also, is there some online resource that I can access to look up maintenance procedures like the one you posted here? Do you have a website address or link you could share? There are other parts I'm looking to remove from this vehicle and I always like to avoid having to break or destroy one part to get to another when it isn't obvious how to remove something.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

I don't remember what size the nuts were, sorry. Here's the parent directory for the repair manuals though (it's 2006 but covers all model years).
http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Ba ... a%20only)/
The main guide to the roof rail is under "Body Section" and is titled "Exterior Interior Trim".
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

The rails are held in place by 5 10 MM nuts. There are 2 pairs over the doors, and the 5th is hidden in the rear corner. You will probably have to remove the headliner for GOOD access. You may also have to remove the top rear plastic trim outside above the rear window. YES, the square plastic covers will break :evil:. There is a round cover under the upper corner fairing for the chrome brace bar. Once the rails nuts are removed, the rail will come off. Don't be surprised if you find rusty spots - I did.
hidden nut in corner
hidden nut in corner
DSCN1676.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 13326 times
Rail removed
Rail removed
DSCN1674.JPG (2.66 MiB) Viewed 13326 times
Rust spot from rail leaking
Rust spot from rail leaking
DSCN1675.JPG (2.59 MiB) Viewed 13326 times