Body shake

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Bobman58
Scoobytruck Lurker

Body shake

Post by Bobman58 »

I have an 03 Baja. I have a bit of a shake in the body when I am on the gas. Starts about 30 mph but only when I'm on the gas. When I let off and coast it stops. It doesn't feel like it's in the front because I don't feel it in the steering wheel. I was thinking it might be some of the suspension bushings in the rear. I replaced all the struts a couple of years ago but I have carried some pretty heavy loads since so I suppose it could be one or both of them. I was thinking it might be wheel/axle bearings too. Not quite sure where the best place to start throwing new parts at it.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Robert
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Body shake

Post by kamesama980 »

struts and bushings seldom CAUSE a shake. they may allow a shake caused elsewhere to be felt if they're worn though. shake means rotating or reciprocating parts. sometimes you can tell where it's coming from, sometimes you cannot.

things to troubleshoot:
-Check your tires, make sure nothings caught in the tread nor mud/snow/ice inside. How's the tread look? are they even all around? (remember, AWD likes the same treadwear on all 4 tires)
-Rotate the tires, see if it changes/moves.
-Visually inspect the CV axle boots, driveshaft U-joints, and drivetrain fluid levels.
-Jack it up and "shake it down" try to rotate the tire side to side, front and back, up and down... any looseness is likely a wheel bearing.
-Check the brakes. warped rotors don't always shake when breaking.

Unfortunately a lot of it comes down to knowing just how to hold things or know what subtle signs to look for. I could probably ID it in 5 minutes in person but might never be able to explain it well enough for you to find it online.

or just take it to a shops that do free inspections/estimates and see what they think.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back