ACTIVITY SPORT LIGHTS

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Cashmoney
Scoobytruck Lurker

ACTIVITY SPORT LIGHTS

Post by Cashmoney »

I JUST ADDED THE SPORT LIGHTS ON MY 03 BAJA AND LOVE THEM BUT HAVE A QUESTION. I WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS A WAY TO WIRE OR MODIFY THEM SO THEY CAN BE USED WHEN THE PARKING BRAKE IS OFF. I FOLLOWED DIRECTIONS AND THEY HAVE SOME SORT OF SAFETY THING WHERE YOU HAVE TO BE PARKED FOR THEM TO WORK. IS THERE A WAY TO OVERRIDE THIS OR BYPASS IT??
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Hmmm maybe loosen your parking brake cable and pull the handle up 1 notch? :D (just enough to make the parking brake light come on)
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
Kacey3
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Kacey3 »

Yeah, that's the solution I've seen before, also.

In fact, apparently the break is pretty soft to begin with so a lot of people just pull it up one notch and drive.
TonyTyler
Scoobytruck Lurker

I'm interested in this as well

Post by TonyTyler »

I got the lights on my 06 Turbo, and was astonished to find out that they only work when the parking brake is engaged. There has to be a switch that will turn off this "safety" feature. Not being able to use the lights while driving (especially off-road, what they were designed for) is a pain. I'll post the solution when I find it.

Cheers
stu's subie
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by stu's subie »

all i did was remove center console took the switch that is hooked to the e brake and left the switch away from e brake set up the only draw back is the brake light is on all the time
hookupny
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by hookupny »

I wired mine into the foglamp relay switch under the hood...now I just have to use the foglamp switch to turn on all 6 of my foglamps. The relay box is located on the driver's side of the engine compartment.

Ed http://edsbaja.4t.com/photo2.html
TonyTyler
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by TonyTyler »

Sweet Baja hookupny. Thanks for the pics. I like that idea, except that in Colorado I need the fog lights in the winter (and they get upset if you flip on the top lights!).

Stu's subie - thanks for that tip, I figured there was a simple switch. Maybe I can replace it with another pass through that will allow the lights to be turned on without having the parking brake light on all the time. If I find one, I'll let you know.

Cheers all
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Turning off lights

Post by steven765 »

Far easier turing off the lights than pullin the break. I modified mine so they can be turned on at any time.
On the connector to the switch
Cut or remove pin 5 the yellow wire If you don't you'll activate your break light, this is the pin grounded by the break switch, then connect this pin to the black pin 6 next to it earth ground. Thus the relay always has a refernece to ground and will activate at any time.
note this is one of the few circuits in the vehicle that is always on regardless of ignition so be careful
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

On the connector to the switch
Cut or remove pin 5 the yellow wire If you don't you'll activate your break light, this is the pin grounded by the break switch, then connect this pin to the black pin 6 next to it earth ground. Thus the relay always has a refernece to ground and will activate at any time.
I did see the yellow wire and the solid black next to it, counting the pins from left to right, I end up with yellow being #4 and the black #5. Am I counting wrong? How did you connect the yellow pin to the ground pin? I'm assuming you cut the yellow wire so that there is enough sticking out of the pin so you can splice it onto the black. Please advice, since I don't want to have to pull my break to turn on the lights! Thanks.
-EB
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by steven765 »

Actually I slid the pins out and soldered the yellow to the black with a jumper wire. In retrospect I should have gotten a few pin blanks, and just connected the black to the yellow space. Then just put some tape over the yellow. This way there aren't any cut wires if you go to sell it.. not that anyone would ever really look.

I only cut the yellow wire after I disocvered my brake light was then permanently on. Again I could have there installed a diode to prevent back flow b
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

so this yellow to black fix will make the parking brake light still work AND make the activity lights work WITHOUT the brake on? Am I correct here?

If so I may actually buy them.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by steven765 »

Yes, If you disconnect or cut the yellow wire so it doen't backfeed the brake light.
--Steve

PS I'd take a picture but that required wayy too much work as you know to open that up.
brujah
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by brujah »

I got through the whole installation, but now I'm stuck at installing the relay. Can someone describe (or better yet take a pic) the harness and plug that is underneath the dash for the relay? I just can't locate that sucker.....
2005 turbo - WRX intercooler, Samco hoses, GFB bov, 3" Helix catless downpipe, 2.5" SS CatBackEx, front and rear skidplates(for rocks and logs), Westin safari bar, lots of Hella 500's
brujah
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by brujah »

Still can't seem to locate it, the instructions are not very helpfull since they are in black & white. Perhaps if I knew what color the connector was...
2005 turbo - WRX intercooler, Samco hoses, GFB bov, 3" Helix catless downpipe, 2.5" SS CatBackEx, front and rear skidplates(for rocks and logs), Westin safari bar, lots of Hella 500's
brujah
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by brujah »

can anyone who has installed these perhaps peek under their dash and give me a rough description of where the connector is and/or what color??