2006 Baja Fuel System Issue

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Gregmy123
Scoobytruck Lurker

2006 Baja Fuel System Issue

Post by Gregmy123 »

Hi Folks,

I am working on a 2006 Baja 2.5 L Non Turbo
I changed out the Fuel Pump and was driving and engine stalled.
Engine turns over but will not start.
It has plenty of gas. Battery is New.
I sprayed Starting Fluid in Throttle Body and Engine starts and runs briefly.
I hear the new fuel pump motor whirl for 3 sec when I turn key to "On".
I hooked up a Fuel Pressure Gauge and get 0 PSI.
Any thoughts on why I can't get this engine to run?

Thanks in advance if you can please help me.
rsuazopm
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: 2006 Baja Fuel System Issue

Post by rsuazopm »

Sounds like your fuel filter. Check you tube for videos on where it is located and how to change them.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Best bet is get a good container (1 gallon jug), a length of hose and some kind of connector fitting, disconnect the hose where it goes into the filter or the injector rail in the engine compartment, adapt the extra length of hose to it (the hose coming from the tank), route it into the container, and cycle the key. Might help to have a fire extinguisher nearby or better yet, a helper with the extinguisher. On cycling the key, the fuel pump running SHOULD give a good healthy stream of fuel into the container. If it doesn't, something may have come disconnected inside the tank, lines hooked up wrong, or possibly the sock in the tank is clogged. Also can't completely rule out that the new pump didn't die. What brand pump did you use? Dennis
Gregmy123
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Gregmy123 »

I used a cheap Osias Brand from EBay - $13.99 - I am regretting this...
But I did put a new strainer on it.
I will double-check that I put lines back in right locations
I labeled them before removing.
This car sat on a lot for 10 years and when I got it
I never removed the old gas and never cleaned the tank.
I will remove fuel pump Assembly and check it out
And clean tank. Removing tank is a major job.
Thanks for your valuable help and suggestions!
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

I don’t have any experience with that brand of fuel pump. But I have seen multiple times where generic fuel pumps were bad out of the box from the usual big box retailers.

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I didn't want to add insult to injury after I read the O.P.'s last post, but he layed out step by step to disaster. It appears he will learn from it.
First: Get rid of the old gas. At the least, this makes dealing with the tank easier.
Second: some here would consider this almost as sacrilege, but on another forum (for Isuzus) we found that it was much easier to cut an access hole in the floor to get to the fuel pump than dealing with dropping the fuel tank. Some used the cut out section as a cover, while others cut a larger section from a boneyard donor. Possibly, an Outback would have a similar floor panel section. Right now, I'm not even real sure exactly where the fuel pump is mounted, but should mine fail, I would consider this option.
Finally, only a QUALITY fuel pump should be used. Never NEVER trust the cheap knock off stuff on ebay for a critical component. OEM may be around 300-400 dollars (again, not sure, but comparing to Isuzu OEM pricing). Somewhere in the middle should be a dependable, reasonable priced replacement. Maybe someone here can add a recommendation. Again, I say this not to poke at the O.P., but for the benefit of anyone else who has fuel problems and finds this thread. Dennis
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

ZUBAJA wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:51 am Second: some here would consider this almost as sacrilege, but on another forum (for Isuzus) we found that it was much easier to cut an access hole in the floor to get to the fuel pump than dealing with dropping the fuel tank. Some used the cut out section as a cover, while others cut a larger section from a boneyard donor.
Luckily Subaru has already thought that part through; the fuel pump assembly is accessible through the floor in the Baja under the rear seats. Just pull up the carpet and remove a couple screws.
https://youtu.be/8lOZ8gzBYFw
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

you and others have posted the troubleshooting steps I'd advise (fuel pressure and flow checks) so I won't get into that.

Ebay pump for $15... wonder what the problem could be. There's a reason that crap costs less than the shipping and the seller changes names as often as most people change their underwear. From my time working in a parts store and going to school to work on cars, I could hesitate to even use a mid-priced non OE part from a reputable store. Frankly, based on the warranty replacements I've watched, I'd sooner get an OE fuel pump from the junkyard... other than the risk of not getting OE.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back