Brake Light issues

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

macrunbaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Brake Light issues

Post by macrunbaja »

Newbie baja owner, got it a 2006 sport around 4 months ago and joined the baja cult (all hail)

It's just showing it's age now and having some electrical issues, one which has me a little confused. All 3 brake lights work when braking/parked/reversing, but when using the key to unlock and lock the car the only rear light that flashes is on the passenger side, not all 3 in the rear like it should. I'm guessing it's just something with the wiring but I honestly have no clue on how to fix it.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Brake Light issues

Post by Guacamole »

Hey there, firstly welcome to the "cult"
0ds987f0ds87f0dsf.jpeg
0ds987f0ds87f0dsf.jpeg (119.35 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
I have an 06 Sport as well. There are a total of 5 brake lights in the rear- one on each fender, two in the tailgate, and one in the roof. When you lock or unlock the vehicle with the key fob, only the fender taillights should blink (and the signal lights in the front). The two tailgate lights and the center roof light do not blink. Make sure all 5 of these bulbs are functional. It may be something as simple as something is loose inside the bulb and it only works when there's not much power flowing through it (I had this happen on one of the turning signal lights on mine). Replace the bulb first, then go from there.
Video on DIY disassembly of the taillight: https://youtu.be/Dh5-5doJCVo
macrunbaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Brake Light issues

Post by macrunbaja »

Thanks for all the juicey info. I'll fiddle with it later and see how it goes. Hopefully I get lucky and smack something back into place and it magically fixes itself.