Gauge Cluster

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

kensei
Scoobytruck Contributer

Gauge Cluster

Post by kensei »

Is the mileage reading on the odometer independent of the actual gauge cluster itself? I assume that it is stored in an ecu somewhere and simply reported to the LCD display. The PO of my '05 had somehow damaged the back of the PCB on the cluster and my trip odometer displays only parts of each digit and the backlighting does not work (bulb function was verified). So I was wondering if I could just replace the entire cluster from a car being parted out, without any odometer concerns... Thanks!
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Gauge Cluster

Post by Guacamole »

Nope. If you replace the cluster it'll display the mileage from the donor car + whatever you drive on it post swap. EDIT: I wouldn't recommend adjusting it after looking into it further.
Last edited by Guacamole on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyByNite
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by FlyByNite »

Would it take a $ubaru dealer to make the adjustment?
Yep, got a matching ARE cap.
2003 226,802 miles so far.

Enjoy
FBN
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

FlyByNite wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:46 pm Would it take a $ubaru dealer to make the adjustment?
Unlikely, and actually don't do this. (I've edited my previous post to reflect this after doing some more research on the subject)
https://www.justice.gov/civil/case/fede ... g-statutes

Best to talk to an actual lawyer first.
FlyByNite
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by FlyByNite »

As of today I would want it set to 224,198. My problem, other than some blown bulbs, is the trip meter mini stalk doesn't work. Push it, pull it, nothing happens. I have some LEDs on the way to take care of the bulb problem.

Enjoy
FBN
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Press and hold the trip meter for about 2-3 seconds, does it reset the trip meter?
Just pushing it without holding it is supposed to switch it between the 2 saved trip meters (A and B). As far as I know twisting it does nothing.
FlyByNite
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by FlyByNite »

I think the trip meter is toast. Quick push should change from A to B and back. Prolonged push should zero whichever trip meter you are on. Neither does anything. The odometer and current trip numbers keep going up though. I want to get it working but still keep my hard earned 224,258 ( as of today ) miles displayed. I guess when I have the cluster out for the new bulbs I'll poke around a little and see if I can detect what is amiss.

Enjoy
FBN
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Granted this is from when I was in school a few years ago but if you are replacing a failed cluster, you can legally change the mileage on the new one to be correct or put in a cluster with the wrong mileage (if adjustment isn't possible) by putting an official "mileage is inaccurate, here's the correction" sticker in the door jamb(?). I don't remember if that applies to a used cluster with XYZ miles or just a new one starting at 0 though.

chances of getting caught: low. chances of actually getting punished if you aren't trying to make money by rolling back the odo: low.

Kinda like emissions laws: Just because your area doesn't have yearly emissions checks doesn't mean you can do whatever. It's still illegal under federal law to tamper with emissions systems. Just nobody enforces it unless they get reports of a shop doing it for ppl.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

On odometer, check with your local DMV. In Florida, there is a place on the titles to record speedometer / odometer replacement (final mileage, new mileage) and they will note on the title "not actual mileage", but you will have a reference point. Other states may have something similar.
On trip odometer: On mine, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When I gas up, I have to fight with it to get it to reset and usually, I end up resetting from A to B or B to A as whatever it decides to do happens. This is a documented thing on Outbacks as I found stuff on the web about it. No cures unfortunately. Dennis
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

FWIW, I gassed up today and it absolutely refused to reset :evil:. Been exactly one month since I fueled up last. I did look around on the web last night and there is no mention of a fix for this. Several folks having issues, some cures for newer vehicles, but no cure for the 2000-2005 Outback / Baja. Maybe after the holidays I'll tackle my sunnroof issues and look into this as well. Dennis