Head gaskets, 3rd clutch repair? Bushings and ball joints. Austin, TX

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Na Picta Irskr
Scoobytruck Lurker

Head gaskets, 3rd clutch repair? Bushings and ball joints. Austin, TX

Post by Na Picta Irskr »

Hey everyone,

So, I've had this 06 Baja for a few years. It's had a hard life with me so far.

Previous owner replaced the clutch once, I replaced it again about a year ago, or less, and now it's showing a bunch of wear, and I don't do anything crazy in it.

It got broken into at my old apartment, window smashed, center dashboard ripped out, that wasn't fixed cause the place couldn't find that part.

Took it in for the airbag recall recently, found out that I've got a head gasket leak, and they need to be re-planed.

All things considered, as much as I love the Baja, I need to move on. Seeing the center dash where it was damaged is an awful reminder and I honestly can't stand having the bed of it I can't use.

I'm in the Austin area. And the dealership will give me a loaner while they fix my car, but it'll cost me 5k to have the head gaskets and suspension fixed.

4 left on the loan. And I'm not sure what to do.

Fix it and sell it. Just sell it? Any advice or ideas?
walfredo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Head gaskets, 3rd clutch repair? Bushings and ball joints. Austin, TX

Post by walfredo »

You might want to think about not taking it to a dealership, but a shop that works on subaru's. Headgaskets are extremely common and any third-party shop that does work on subarus will be able to do this just as well as any dealership. Call around and get some quotes, Im sure you can get it done for less than 5K easily at a third party shop. These guys are saying $1600-$1700 for HG repair: https://independentmotors.net/subaru-he ... placement/. Since HG's typically require pulling the motor, the clutch can/should be done at the same time with lower labor costs. A guesstimate would be an additional $500-$750.

Otherwise, I think you would easily be able to sell it for 4k to some home mechanic who could throw new HG's and a clutch in themselves (most of the cost is in labor)-assuming thats all that the car needs... New HG's are only like $100-$150 for parts, clutch is less than $200. If your car is a turbo you would likely be able to sell it for more than 4k. Depends on how many miles you have on it and the condition of the car.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Head gaskets, 3rd clutch repair? Bushings and ball joints. Austin, TX

Post by kamesama980 »

As a home mechanic, 4k would be the top to pay needing the work but otherwise in great shape.

Find out what exactly the problem is with the gaskets, I've put 12k on my 03 with external oil leaks. The total isn't unusual from a dealership, keep in mind dealerships charge a premium and will try to upsell everything. Even a premium independent shop will probably me half of that. (I'd do it for even less but you'd have to get it up here and I don't have a loaner) Absolutely nothing wrong with getting a second opinion from another shop, it happened all the time when I was mechanicing professionally. I didn't mind putting the car on the lift and explaining everything to customers but I'm pretty honest from the start. Another option is if there are any schools with an automotive tech program, they usually will take limited work from the community with free or very reduced labor because the students do the work. the only downside is no loaners, may take longer, and the students do the work. Any decent program the teachers will tell you if they have kids capable of doing the work and watch them but it's still riskier.

Again at somewhere other than the stealership, ask about the center console. there are more than a few bajas in junkyards around the country.

3rd clutch and 2 in a year(ish) is either something else is bad causing it or it's the driver. obviously living in a big city is always going to be hard on a clutch but it takes very little driver error to add up fast, especially in that environment. It could even be a habit that was fine on other cars you've had. throttle-by-wire drives me nuts and does require conscious effort to compensate for and could cause or exacerbate issues.

I know it doesn't help after the cat's out of the bag but avoid loans on cars like the plague.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back