2006 Baja Sport

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: 2006 Baja Sport

Post by kamesama980 »

flyboyaviator wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm An update on the Baja Sport, after driving the Baja home this is what I've noticed, there is a sound or the hump that you feel when slowly making a turn it feels as if you were driving on top of small humps, but if the you make the same turn driving fast you don't feel the humps, also, the boots are intact, no rips or leakage, other wise the driving is normal, I was doing 75 miles +. Any thoughts. Thank you all.
Sounds like my turbo. daily commute is fine, 25 miles country roads is slightly noticeable, 60 miles at interstate+ speeds and it's quite noticeable like the front end's binding up. thump thump thump thump making tight turns (not so much on the street but definitely in/out of parking spots)

If you google "stuck CV axle" the first few results are 00-04 outbacks we share suspension with, most of which result in getting a hub+axle from the junkyard. I fought with my 03 and finally got it with a combination of cutting, drilling, heating, chilling, pounding, and pressing over 3 days in my not-poorly-equipped garage. There were casualties in the battle though: bent my 20t harbor freight press, shot the balljoint to heck, and replaced the wheel bearing for good measure.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by flyboyaviator »

Hi! Guacamole, do you happen to know where can I purchase the rubber molding that fits on the out side of the rear window right behind the rear seat.
Mine is not holding in place at the ends, and when I try to fix it it just went all the way in. Thanks for your help Guacamole.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Well, mechanic got the axles installed today. With the 20mi drive home I can say the popping sound is indeed gone (again). After getting home and taking a look at the older axles, it turns out the outer cv axle had failed with the boot intact. Here's some pics of the old OEM axle that failed with just under 50k miles (excuse the horrible lighting).
DSCN1598.JPG
DSCN1598.JPG (537.19 KiB) Viewed 7302 times
As you can see there's a massive dent in the flange where the axle rod mates to the hub. This is also the joint that failed. The axle probably failed thanks to MD's amazing roads, courtesy of SHA.
Now here is the brand new beefy 1A axle in place (please excuse the lighting again, took this after dark and everything looks siltier than usual thanks to the flash)
DSCN1589.JPG
DSCN1589.JPG (723.98 KiB) Viewed 7302 times
The outer joint is also slightly tilted because my wheels are turned slightly to the left.
flyboyaviator wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:33 pm Hi! Guacamole, do you happen to know where can I purchase the rubber molding that fits on the out side of the rear window right behind the rear seat.
Mine is not holding in place at the ends, and when I try to fix it it just went all the way in. Thanks for your help Guacamole.
The weatherstripping? It's part #65145AE04A but it's discontinued. You could probably find some aftermarket stuff at your local Autozone/NAPA/Advance/etc. Even windshield molding would probably work. Post some pictures so we can see what problems you're having though.
walfredo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by walfredo »

It looks like you may have hit something, a rock or something like that at some point.

I wonder if the clicking wasnt actually a bad CV joint, but the bent flange rubbing on your hub... That axle may possibly still be good (not that it matters).
kamesama980 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:16 pm If you google "stuck CV axle" the first few results are 00-04 outbacks we share suspension with, most of which result in getting a hub+axle from the junkyard. I fought with my 03 and finally got it with a combination of cutting, drilling, heating, chilling, pounding, and pressing over 3 days in my not-poorly-equipped garage. There were casualties in the battle though: bent my 20t harbor freight press, shot the balljoint to heck, and replaced the wheel bearing for good measure.
The first time I had to pull an axle on the Baja it was majorly stuck in the hub - I had to wail on the axle nut with a socket and a sledge hammer for like half the day in order to get it to move. Worst axle I ever had to do!
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

walfredo wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:48 am It looks like you may have hit something, a rock or something like that at some point.
I wonder if the clicking wasnt actually a bad CV joint, but the bent flange rubbing on your hub... That axle may possibly still be good (not that it matters).
I still blame SHA.
my tax dollars at work.JPG
my tax dollars at work.JPG (326.24 KiB) Viewed 7265 times
Na, the joint was toast. The bad joint has absolutely no tension left in it compared to the others- it just flops around. If I shake the axle quite violently the bad joint makes the distinct "popping" noise. Axle is probably still fine, but really not worth the trouble of fixing it considering how cheap the 1A ones are. Plus my mechanic only charged me $250 in labor for both axles. So I literally got 2 axles + labor for the price of 1 OEM axle.
flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by flyboyaviator »

Guacamole, can you please send me the part numbers of the axles, Thanks.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

I bought the 2-axle pack from 1A, so it's #1AACS00011.
Direct link: https://www.1aauto.com/products/i/1AACS00011
flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by flyboyaviator »

Well, after I replaced the front shafts, F/wheel bearings, the noise still there, what else should I be checking for, thanks for any help.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Darn that sucks! Next likely culprit is probably the brake rotors or pads. Does your Baja feel like it's lurching or rumbling at all when you brake, both turning and straight? If yes, maybe it's a warped brake rotor.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

A couple of things here: I don't see mentioned if your Baja is a manual or automatic (I'll get into that later). The other is can you be more specific in describing the noise (what it sound like, when you hear it, when / if it goes away or comes back).
I'm sorry to hear that your current repairs have not stopped the problem. On Subies, many driveline noises can be difficult to diagnose because of the all wheel drive. On a regular FWD or RWD driveline is a little easier because only one set of wheels is under load. On Subies it kind of swaps around and noises can transfer through the driveline. The double row "wheel bearings" (axle bearings) can make noise for a long time before failing (note: CAN, not a guarantee that you will be able to keep driving w/o problems). A noisy CV joint might not be as obvious as on a FWD because other wheels are pulling.
If automatic, there is a "clutch pack" at the rear of the tranny that can also cause noises and grabbing, especially when cornering. My Subie experience is from one Baja and 4 Foresters. On my 06 Forester, when I bought it I was told "it has a bad CV joint". It made a weird noise and slight jerking, especially noticeable when turning while backing out of the driveway. I jacked it up and checked all 4 axles and replaced the one that seemed to have a little play. N.G. Later found out about the clutch pack thing. On the Forester (I would think the Baja would be similar), there was a fuse under the hood you could pull that deactivates the AWD. This caused the noise to stop, but only gave FWD. I ended up draining the tranny fluid, changing the filters, pulling the rear case and removing and cleaning the clutch pack. On refilling with Valvoline ATF, I added FORD friction modifier (as recommended by Subaru (or many sites?). This solved the problem. Some have found that simply changing fluid or adding the Ford stuff solved the problem. Hope some of this is helpful. Dennis
flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by flyboyaviator »

Than ks Zubaja, yes it is an automatic, the noise is like hump sound when turning a tight turn and GOING very slow left or right. When driving normally there is no noise, and even when turning at higher speed there in no noise, when driving at high way speed is very normal. I forgot to mention the the differential fluyid was also changed for Lucas synthetic. I did not do the fuse test, but is going to be done Saturday.
Zubaja, can you tell me about that clutch behind the transmission a little more, does this clutch has its own reservoir for the liquid? Thanks for your help.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

It is a clutch pack much like a motorcycle or automatic transmission clutch pack. It runs in the same fluid as the rest of the automatic transmission. I forgot to mention previously, that there is also a solenoid valve that can become clogged causing this same malfunction. The description of a "clunk" sound like this could possibly (POSSIBLY) be the problem. Bad CVs usually sound like a "click - click - click" sa you turn corners slowly. Bad axle bearings usually make a grinding or rumbling sound while driving.
The fuse (on the Forester) was in the fuse box located under the hood. It mentioned it in the owners manual.
Flyboyaviator. Oh for those long gone days. :? A friend once said "If God had meant for man to fly, he would have given him...more money". How true.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

That does sound like the center diff is binding... which could cause axles and bearings to go out.

My 05 turbo is in similar straights currently (but a MT so different setup). clean, maintained ATF is a must for everything to work right. That being said, damage may be done and just changing fluid may not be enough.

FYI Lucas is not premium, it's quiet worn out parts and drag it's death out.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

I didn't see it mentioned, so I suggest you check your brakes for uneven wear. I had a sound the sounded just like a bad bearing and after replacing just about everything in the suspension I did the calipers and now sound gone.
flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by flyboyaviator »

I did the fuse test and the jerking was no longer there. I replaced front and rear brakes. Should I have the solenoid replaced on the transmission, or replace the differential, what will be the best approach? Thank you all.