2006 Baja Sport

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

2006 Baja Sport

Post by flyboyaviator »

NewB here. I like to ask you guys with more experience with the Baja the following.
I looking to buy a 2006 Baja sport with 62.004 miles original as claimed by the original owner, he disclosed the following problems, the front shafts need to be replaced, the driver side head light needs to be replaced, when you forward or on reverse the baja makes a sound every time the wheel goes around when going very slow, when driving straight there is no sound or any thing that will make you feel any thing is wrong, the transmission shifts well, the Baja runs great, the idle is very smooth, no leaks under the engine.
One observation when opening is that the engine is not very clean, and the calipers are rust covered. No rust on the body or any place that can be seen, the seats look real nice, the steering wheel looks great with no marks.
Please let me know what else to look for when just looking at it, or when driving it.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: 2006 Baja Sport

Post by Guacamole »

Hey there, have an 06 sport myself.
If the price is under 10k then it's a steal for that mileage. Both front axles will run about $600 each with dealership pricing. The headlights are easily replaceable as are the headlight housings. The sound may be one or more of the wheel bearings going bad or the dust shield on the brake coming into contact with the disc. Front bearings will run about $700 each while rears run about $500 each (dealership prices again). Don't expect the engine bay to be crystal clean on a 12-year old car, nearly all of ours have some gunk, grease, and general oxidization all over the engine. The rust on the brake calipers should be no problem so long as it's just surface rust- this will happen with any exposed steel.
When I bought mine 3 years ago, I had to replace:
  • both front axles
  • all 4 wheel bearings
  • all 4 brakes discs and pads
  • rear passenger side interior door panel
  • all 4 tires
  • touch up paint on several bad spots
  • 3 speakers
  • both front ball joints
  • both rear sway end links
  • all 4 rear license plate bolts
and over the years I've replaced:
  • exhaust midpipe, muffler, and hangers
  • both headlight housings
  • both fog light grills
  • 4th speaker
  • both rear seat knobs (f*** those things [smilie=hate.gif])
All in all about an extra $2700 in new parts after purchase (this includes labor).

You've pretty much listed everything to watch out for. The only thing I'd suggest looking for is any leaking around the top and sides of the engine block where the block meets the head. If you can as well, turn on the heater and let it sit until the car warms up. If you smell a syrup smell coming out of the vents this indicates either the heater core has a leak or the head gaskets are going. If the smell lingers long after the car has warmed up it's most likely the latter. I smell syrup in mine but it goes away quickly after the engine is warm, hence minor heater core leak but I'm not going to worry about it.
Also if you can, crawl under the car and check around for any major rust under the body. Given the low mileage, it may not be as bad as they usually are, but keep an eye out for leaks and rusted out bolts, especially on the exhaust. The most common exhaust failure is right at the flex joint in the middle, since it's at the perfect spot for any spray from the tires to splash right onto it.
Bear in mind as well, you will have approximately 40,000 miles until the timing belt needs to be replaced, and I do mean NEEDS. The EJ253 is an interference engine, meaning if the timing belt snaps the motor WILL grenade itself. You won't be able to see the timing belt because of the cover, but the uncovered fan belts should give you an indication of the condition of the timing belt.

Also keep in mind too, if you plan to go DIY with maintenance, everything in the Baja from the rear axle forward is fully-compatible with 2000-2004 2.5L NA Legacy and Outback models.

Phew, hope all this helps!
flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by flyboyaviator »

Much appreciated Guacamole, the engine bay top and bottom looks pretty dry, with dust and condensation drying on and on, only one owner all these years, the driver's seat bolster(?) looks really good with almost no wear, original books, and some maintenance receipts to go along. I do have a friendly mechanic who is going to do the work I know him for years, I don't trust the steal-er-ships all that much. I do want to thank you for your time on answering all those questions.
flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by flyboyaviator »

Guacamole or any one else please, having the front axles go bad at around 62XXX miles is it possible. The Baja I'm purchasing, body seats look to be very well taking care, so is it possible for both axles to go bad in the front.
One more thin please, can some one tell where to purchase axle replacements and wheel bearings.
Thank for your help.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

ANY soft goods on a car (like the timing belt and axle boots) have a time component as well. the rubber breaks down over time and becomes weaker. That's why they have two intervals to watch out for: mileage (105k) and time (6-10 years, I don't recall). I would not plan on 40k trouble-free miles before worrying about the timing belt. Same goes for fluids: mileage or time, whichever is comes FIRST.

Parts can be found at the dealership (as guac alluded to by listing prices) and parts stores both physical and online. Be warned though that many people have issues with aftermarket axles.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by flyboyaviator »

I need to have font half axles replaced, I search on the Subaru parts, and they have the axles for about $600.00 for both, are there any other vendors with better prices, I'e read on this site a company A1 with a good reputation for the turbo, I wonder what you opinion is. Much appreciated.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Looks like 1A Auto makes replacement axles for the NA too, and hey they're on sale- $104 for both!
https://www.1aauto.com/subaru-cv-axle-s ... 184&y=2005
Bear in mind, the Turbo and NA drivetrains are different so the axles are also different and not compatible between the two. If these truly are built for the NA then they should fit.
Rockauto has a few aftermarket axle assemblies as well. No idea what the quality of these are though.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/sub ... embly,2288
flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by flyboyaviator »

Thanks Guacamole, I'm going to get those from 1A
walfredo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by walfredo »

Ive had luck with used axles from the junkyard and then putting new boots and repacking with grease, or run them as-is if the boots look good.

Prior experience with autozone "refurbished" axles has been horrible. On my VW, I got 3 bad "refurbished" axles in a row before just getting a used one from the junkyard. Those A1 "new" axles may be better, although aftermarket axles seem to be very hit and miss on their longevity. Definitely dont go refurbished.

Most axles go bad from a ripped boot and dirt getting into the axle assembly - once they start "clicking" around corners, they are toast. If you can fix the boot before that happens they can be re-used.

My 2c
flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by flyboyaviator »

An update on the Baja Sport, after driving the Baja home this is what I've noticed, there is a sound or the hump that you feel when slowly making a turn it feels as if you were driving on top of small humps, but if the you make the same turn driving fast you don't feel the humps, also, the boots are intact, no rips or leakage, other wise the driving is normal, I was doing 75 miles +. Any thoughts. Thank you all.
Last edited by flyboyaviator on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

flyboyaviator wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm An update on the Baja Sport, after driving the Baja home this what I've noticed, there is no sound or the hump that you feel when slowly making a turn it feel as if you were going on to of small humps, but if the you make the same turn driving fast you don't feel the humps, also, the boots are intact, no rips or leakage, other wise the driving is normal, I was doing 75 miles +. Any thoughts. Thank you all.
The CV joint could still be shot. My first one was like this- boot intact, but it kept "popping" each time I made a hard right turn and gave it any gas at the same time (bad axle was passenger side front). Bonus points now my replacement OEM (from Subaru) I had done 3 years ago (50k miles ago), is now going on the front driver's side. How fun! Since I don't have the ability nor time to drive an hour to the Subie dealer to have my wallet scream at me I'm gonna go the 1A route and save some Benjamins.
walfredo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by walfredo »

Good luck, axles aren't too bad as long as you can get the nut off and balljoint loose. There is a trick where you can put a socket in between the control arm and hub to pop the balljoint off without a puller. Last part is getting the pin loose from the trans side of the axle and getting the axle to pop out of the hub - you are home free at that point!
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Well the 1A axles came today and WOW these things are beefy. Will have them installed next week.
DSCN1583.JPG
DSCN1583.JPG (638.79 KiB) Viewed 7969 times
flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by flyboyaviator »

They sure look beefy, Guacamole, please let me know they work out once you get them in, is your Baja Sport or turbo?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

flyboyaviator wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:40 am is your Baja Sport or turbo?
Standard sport like yours.