A/C Troubleshooting

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

kensei
Scoobytruck Contributer

A/C Troubleshooting

Post by kensei »

Looking for some insight on A/C issues...

Purchased my '05 5MT NA about two months ago and was aware the A/C was not functioning. PO stated that it would come on for a bit and then just stop; he thought it might need the shim removed as he had done some internet research. It had also been sitting for a while (months) and must have a small leak, as the system had no charge when I first checked.

For starters, I recharged the system, albeit at home with store bought items. Ran a leak check with dye and a light, but was not able to detect any visible leaks and the system has held pressure. The system works well and puts out very cold air, when it continues to run. On average, it seems to run for about 7-10 minutes and then the compressor will not kick in again. I have had some luck in turning off the A/C switch and turning it back on, but success is not very consistent with this method.

I have measured the free play in the clutch system and it it actually on the tight end of the range, so I am not convinced that "removing the shim" will cure the problem.

I have noted that when temperatures are warmer, 80+ degrees, the failure seems to be more consistent. I am suspect that it may be the A/C relay and have one on order that should be here later this week.

I am curious for more input or other suggestions in the event that the relay does not solve the issue when it arrives. Is there some type of overheating or thermal protection on the compressor that may be kicking in?

Thanks!
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: A/C Troubleshooting

Post by ZUBAJA »

I've had 2, my 05 Forester, and my 03 Baja that had same symptoms. Removed the shims from both and both work fine now. To pull the clutch drive plate, you have to thread the 3 holes and use STRONG or hardened screws / bolts (Allen type are usually good) and a 3 way puller (like steering wheel puller). Have to remove the 10MM bolt in the center and have a longer bolt to press against. Sometimes you can get lucky and have a plate that will "wiggle" off, but that's rare. Depending on the puller, you might be better off removing the compressor bolts so you will have adequate clearance (I didn't have to) Dennis
kensei
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kensei »

ZUBAJA; thank you for the advice! Since it does seem to be a pretty common issue, I will go ahead and try the clutch fix, especially since it is just the cost of bolts and nuts! :)

I found a great video Mr. Subaru 1387 that details the process.

Between this board and his videos I have been bringing this Baja around and saving a bunch of money doing it!

Thank You!
Reddog
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Reddog »

I tried that but my clutch was too wore.

I ended up buying a used compressor from an Online Junkyard for about 130.00 and swapped the clutch out of it into my compressor minus the 1 shim.

Haven't had problem since.

Just saying in case removing shim doesn't work.
kensei
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kensei »

Reddog; keeping my finger crossed that I am good on that one, though that is a better option than a new compressor. Thanks!

I actually ran to the store last night, got the bolts I needed and pulled the clutch off last night. After re-measuring prior to removal, I actually found that I was over the high end of the measurement range when I thought I was on the low end. When I pulled the clutch I found two very thin shims in there, measured them and ended up removing both. Put it all back together and when I started it up everything was engaging fine. Didn't drive the car today, but have about a two hour round trip drive tomorrow, so I am looking forward to see if it took care of the issue.

The only tricky thing I ran into was that the video I watched didn't say anything about how to stop the clutch from spinning when removing or installing the clutch bolt. I assume because he had air tools it must not have been an issue. I ended up threading one of the "puller" bolts in just far enough to engage, but not touch the compressor pulley and used it for leverage against my wrench. The video said torque spec was on about 10 lb/ft, so I think I should be good...
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

I had same initial symptoms...ended up getting my Subie mech to install new compressor ($800)...thank dOg it’s been hot here in NE...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kensei
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kensei »

Actually ended up on the road about a total of four hours yesterday and am happy to report that the A/C functioned as it should; it seems that the clutch was the problem after all. Maybe I just thought my Baja was special and couldn't possibly have the same A/C issue as nearly every other (it seems) Subaru out there of the same vintage...:)

Thanks to all for your help!