Drive train swap

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

sumthin_major
Scoobytruck Lurker

Drive train swap

Post by sumthin_major »

I have a 2004 baja n/a auto and I'm thinking of swapping the drivetrain from a 2005 legacy gt in it. I know the engine will work but has anyone had any experience putting the 5speed aut in a baja? Aside from the harness from the legacy and maybe the drive shaft anything else I need to know?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Drive train swap

Post by Guacamole »

Hey there! That's quite a project. I'm no mechanic so take this with a grain of salt:
Firstly, I'm not entirely sure the drive train will be just a straight bolt-in swap. The Baja is based on the Gen-3 Legacy, and the 05 model year is when the Gen-4 production started for the Legacy, but the Baja was left in Gen-3 for the 05 and 06 model years. The only Gen-4 upgrade the Baja got was the EJ253 engine for 05+. You may/may not have some issues with the mounting points not lining up correctly.
Secondly, if you're not going to use the entire drive train from the 05 GT, make sure that the final drive ratio for the differentials is the same. If they aren't, use the entire drive train from the 05 GT. If there's a problem with the drive shaft length the Baja's *should* fit.
Thirdly, I have no idea how the dash in the GT will fit in the Baja. I'm assuming behind the dash the clusters are mounted and shaped differently, so you may have to do some modding to the dash as well, or figure out a way to plug in the Baja's dash (if that's even possible).
Hope any of this helps and good luck!