Removing Roof Rails

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Subicon
Scoobytruck Lurker

Removing Roof Rails

Post by Subicon »

I need to remove the roof rails and bars. The bars were no problem but I'm starting to think that I have to remove the interior ceiling panel to remove the rails. This is slightly less appealing than a colonoscopy. Anyone know of an exploded view / procedure that might assist me?

Thanks ...Ken

BTW, thanks for the forum. Certainly a lot less of them as compared to my Jeep. :D
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Removing Roof Rails

Post by anarchy1024 »

Hi Ken,

Check out parts.subaru.com ; they have exploded diagrams of everything, I think. Doesn't have procedures (that's in the FSM - factory service manual), but the diagrams should be helpful.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

It's best not to remove the rails. They're bolted into the roof and taking them off will leave the holes that you'll need to plug up, otherwise your interior ceiling will get soaked every time it rains, and water can get behind the bed trim as well causing even more problems. But, here's the FSM, see page EI-35:
http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Ba ... 20TRIM.pdf
And having had to remove one to install my roof lights I can confirm this an absolute pain since the ENTIRE interior above the doors have to be disassembled...
But wait! There's more!
All the interior plastic bits are held on by clips that are super easy to break.
Subicon
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Subicon »

Thanks to you both for your comments.

I should have explained a little better as to what I'm doing. There is a cancer all along the roof where it meets the windshield. My body guys said we are going to cut the roof at the A-pillars and back to the rear of the sunroof opening then replace it. I found a roof about 250 miles away and for $300. Although I've come to realize the ceiling removal will be a PIA it's all part of the learning curve.
Subicon
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Subicon »

Hey, look what I found!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1523