05 Baja turbo shortblock

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: 05 Baja turbo shortblock

Post by kamesama980 »

outback suspension will drop the baja a few inches

probably that both have the tiptronic or sport-shift mode automatics. I really hate that those were ever invented.

I would have never thought of dropping it out the bottom without a lift anyway. I have done so (not on a subie though) before though.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
ratfink
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ratfink »

Hideyho guys. Friday night update on the Baja project. Pulled the eng/trans/front suspension out of the Outback Wednesday. Everything went pretty much as planned. Used a motorcycle jack under the cradle and a second motorcycle jack under the transmission crossmember, then slid everything right out the front. (remember that the Outback was wrecked and I cut the core support and RF frame horn off). I did remove the struts, which I hadn't planned on, but it was easier than raising the car higher so that they would clear. Worked out for the best because I want to use the Baja struts on the Baja anyway. This was a piece of cake compared to what was coming when I got ready to slide everything under the Baja. I spent Thursday cleaning up the eng/trans assy, checking the rear end gear ratio ( Oh,buy the way, I lucked out. Both cars have a 4.44 rear end. So the Baja rear end is staying in the Baja.) and swapping out the front lower control arms. (the Outback stuff was kinda rusty and the Baja stuff was in a lot better shape.) Anyway, back to "sliding everything under the Baja" I measured from the floor to the highest point on the eng/trans assy. Need 32 inches to slide everything under the Baja. Measured the Baja and I only got 26 inches. My floor jacks were maxed out just to get her up this high. Was talking to a buddy of mine and he suggested using my eng hoist to raise the front of the car. Using some chain and a little yankee engineering it worked like a champ. Next step, slide everything under the Baja, jack it up, bolt it in and I'm done. Yea right. The motorcycle jacks wouldn't go high enough to get anywhere near where the eng/trans assy needed to be. More yankee engineering, straddled the e/t assy with the eng hoist, bolted a chain onto the outside of the frame horns between the core support and the bumper (took the headlights out) where the factory tiedowns are bolted to the frame horns, raised the car, lowered the jack stands, and slowly lowered the car right down over top of the e/t assy. So far so good. Everything lines up, bolts up, and is working out ok.
Next step, driveshaft, front suspension, brakes, and get her back down on the ground. So long for now, Tom
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

Ratfink; I discovered while building several boats from kits that most of the satisfaction comes from creative problem-solving when processes don't go quite as smoothly or easily as you think up front. I'm glad to hear that your Yankee Engineering served you well and you're well under way to having a working Baja! Every day is another opportunity to solve another problem.... :D
ratfink
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ratfink »

Hideyho Guys, Got a week end update for you. Eng./trans./suspension./driveshaft all in and working out as planned. I used the 02 Outback front crossmember, steering rack, p/s lines, sway bar and ends, and tie rod ends. I used the 05 Baja struts, springs, knuckles, hub and bearing assys, calipers, and rotors. I thought there was a slight difference in the length of the struts between the Outback and Baja, but I'm not real sure. It may be where I was taking my measurements. I'l have to get back with you on that. So far everything bolts up, lines up, and I haven't run into any clearance problems or major issues. Using the radiator, hoses and a/c compressor and hoses from the outback. Again, everything ok. Today I started on the wiring. (The Baja) The dash is out and on the garage floor. Getting ready to pull the a/c evap. box so I can feed the right side wiring harness through the firewall. Once I have that done i think I'll push the Outback back into the garage and tear it down to the same point. Then I can concentrate on one side at a time. Actually going a little quicker than expected. Might even have her running in a couple weeks or less. Still a little confused over rear end gear ratio. Build sheets on scoobynet VIN decoder showed 3.90 gears. Several places on internet showed blocking one wheel, turn other wheel 10 revolutions and count revolutions of driveshaft. Driveshaft turned 22 and 1/4 revolutions on BOTH cars. Which, according to the internet, would be a 4.44 rear end gear ratio. Regardless, both cars were the same so front gear ratio has to be the same as well. Anyway that's all for now. Will have another update the first of the week sometime. Ya'll take care, Tom
ratfink
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ratfink »

Hideyho guys, Have taken a few days off but hard at it again. Here's a little refresher and update:
1. Eng./Trans./Driveshaft/Axles/Suspension all in, hooked up, and ready to rock and roll.
2. Under the hood and under the dash wiring harness removed from the Outback and installed in the Baja. I used the computers, modules, relays, etc from the Outback in the Baja. Also the steering column from the Outback. The dash is back in and everything works, I think.
3. Have not driven the car yet, but I have had the motor running and the trans. shifted into gear OK. Hopefully will shift OK out on the road.
4. Working on the rear harness now. Obviously lots of differences here. I don't have wiring diagrams so I'm taking my time tracing wires, checking and comparing components from both cars, and building a new harness from the wiring from both cars. Everything up to this point has been pretty much what I expected. But the rear wiring has been a big "pain in the you know what". Been working on it for about 4 days and I'm sure I'll have at least that much more to figure everything out and get it all right.
5. When it's all done I will make a list of what I used from the Outback, and what I used off of the Baja. Also, if I can figure out how, I will post some pictures. That's it for now. Ya'll have a good weekend. Tom
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

ratfink wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:08 pm 4. Working on the rear harness now. Obviously lots of differences here. I don't have wiring diagrams so I'm taking my time tracing wires, checking and comparing components from both cars, and building a new harness from the wiring from both cars. Everything up to this point has been pretty much what I expected. But the rear wiring has been a big "pain in the you know what". Been working on it for about 4 days and I'm sure I'll have at least that much more to figure everything out and get it all right.
Would the FSM be of any use here if you don't have it already?
Baja Electrical: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Ba ... SYSTEM.pdf
02 Legacy Electrical Directory: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Le ... 20SECTION/
ratfink
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ratfink »

Hideyho Guacamole, Thanks for the links. Gotta do a little searching but has, and will be, a great help. Would have had everything all done last week ( including wash and wax ) if I had not run into electrical issues in the rear section of the car. Thanks again, Tom
ratfink
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ratfink »

Hideyho Guys, Just a quick message this morning. Took the Baja down the road yesterday for a short test drive. Runs great, shifts great, everything seems OK. Still have some wiring issues in the rear section of the car, interior parts to install, alignment, fluids to change in trans and diffs. Hope to have everything completed by the end of next week. That's it for now, Tom
ratfink
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ratfink »

Hideyho guys, Took the Baja for a nice long test drive today. Everything went better than expected. No weird noises, drove and shifted great, no check engine light, no air bag light, no abs light. Everything works, all gauges, sun roof, turn signals, brake lights, radio, heater, etc, etc. I even hooked up the "hatch ajar" light to the access door behind the rear seat. Still have to have the front end aligned and vac and charge the a/c, but, other than that she is done. Here is a list , as promised , of the parts used.----------Engine,transmission,front axles,and driveshaft--02 Outback----------Rear end complete--05 Baja----------Front crossmember,steering rack,sway bar, and sway bar links--02 Outback----------Front struts,control arms,hub and bearing assy's,calipers and rotors--05 Baja----------Radiator,a/c condenser,compressor,and lines--01 Outback (would have used the 02 stuff but it was torn up when the car was wrecked and I new all this stuff was good. It's all out of the 01 Outback that I am replacing with the Baja.)----------Complete uncut wiring harness under the hood and under the dash including computer,all relays,modules,fuse blocks,steering column,fuel pump and both senders,and instrument cluster--02 Outback----------Heater controls and radio--05 Baja----------Throttle pedal and cable and complete cruise control assy--02 Outback----------For the srs system I used the 05 Baja front impact sensors,module,and passenger side airbag. I used the harness under the dash and the drivers air bag from the 02 Outback. I was going to use everything from the 02 Outback but it had air bags in the seats and the Baja doesn't so the air bag light was staying on. When I replaced the 02 Outback module with the 05 Baja module the air bag light went off. Up to this point it was a time consuming job but nothing gave me any real headscratching moments. All my problems started with the rear harness. So many differences in the two cars from the rear seat back. Took my time and with your guys help (especially links to wiring diagrams) got it figured out. I'm sure there's a few things I forgot. I'll give you guys one more update in a few days and maybe a few pictures if I can figure out how. I'm one tired pup, and gonna turn in. Thanks again to all that helped, Tom
ratfink
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ratfink »

Hideyho Baja guys, Time for a post-project report. The Baja is done (except for changing the fluid in the trans and diffs) and so far everything has worked out well. I have put nearly 500 miles on the car and haven't had any problems. The car starts and runs great, no check engine light, no abs light, no air bag light and everything works as it should. Couple things I wanted to add: (parts used) The shifter and the exhaust system were 02 Outback. I did, however, put the original muffler back on. It just looked better.................................My advise to anyone that is thinking of going this route: #1-Make sure you have a good running and driving donor car. #2-Don't get in a hurry, take your time. #3-I can't guarantee every Outback-Baja combination will be as compatible as the 2 cars I used. I can only tell you my situation worked out very well. #4-When you get to the rear wiring (because of the obvious differences in the cars) you NEED TO HAVE access to factory wiring diagrams. And, make notes on pin locations before you cut the rear harness to marry the two. There are a few instances where the same color coding is used for different things. I used the 02 Outback wiring harness, complete and uncut (UNCUT, take your time) under the hood and under the dash. The only wires I cut were the rear wiring harness at the right rear wheel. In a nutshell, I couldn't be happier with the results. We loved our Outback, now we got an Outback with a neat little bed to haul mulch, antiques, car and motorcycle parts, etc. and we ended up with only about $3400 in it. Thanks again to everyone the helped with advise. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I will continue to check this thread once in a while. Tom
Baja 002.JPG
Baja 002.JPG (763.52 KiB) Viewed 7530 times
Attachments
Baja 007.JPG
Baja 007.JPG (713.05 KiB) Viewed 7530 times
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Well done Tom, and that is one good looking Baja. Dennis
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Looks amazing! You truly now have an Outback without the back!
ratfink
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ratfink »

Just in case anyone is still interested on my transplant project; We now have almost 5k miles on our Baja since I swapped everything over and I couldn't be happier. Runs like a champ, decent mileage, dependable, no warning lights, etc., etc., etc. Now, if I could just find somebody that could use all those leftover parts.................... Tom.
ratfink
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ratfink »

Leftover parts have been sold. Tom
bkb555
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bkb555 »

I have a follow up question on your great project...did you say you took struts out of an outback and put them in your Baja?....was it the complete strut/spring assembly or did you reuse the baja springs with the outback strut body???....these complete strut assemblies (quick struts) are available for Outbacks but the Baja assembly is the holy grail right now...any help would be great thanks