Forester struts?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Forester struts?

Post by ZUBAJA »

Okay, I'm new so please don't slam me. I've searched all over (here, NIASOC, Outback forums, about anything I could find) and all I've come up with are a whole bunch of opinions, many of which contradict others. Scenario: I have an 03 Baja - manual trans. The front sits low. I want to raise it by a couple of inches. I already made "top hat" templates, but this afternoon, I took measurements from my Baja< my 05 Forester, and my 02 Forester. The Forester front struts (all), seem to be about 2" longer than my Baja Struts (all measured loaded). The main difference seems to be the distance between the top (where the "top hat" mounts to the body. The bolt spacing seems to be the same. Is this workable - to put Forester struts (with springs) on my Baja? Dennis
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Forester struts?

Post by kamesama980 »

Bajas have the tallest struts/springs in everything I've read. keep in mind the top-hat to spring seat height is based on the spring (load, preload, length, rate, progression) not the strut (unless it's unloaded). Also keep in mind the foresters are something like 5-700 lbs lighter depending on the year and options.

How low does it sit? pics? To lift a Baja you need aftermarket springs, 04+ springs/struts, or spacers.

FYI, king springs do wonders for an 03. I got some from Primitive racing along with KYB struts from Rockauto which puts it roughly where the later year Bajas sit but with much better springrates. IMO it's about where it should have been from the factory (stiffness wise) and they're progressive rate which is nice.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Thanks for the informative reply. Yes, the height difference does seem to be in the spring compression area. I did consider that it could be spring sag.
I also measured distance from lower spring seat to base of strut and all seemed the same, I'll have to double check that. I also measured spring diameters and they were all the same. Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that a Forester is LIGHTER, as it seems like a larger car. Guess I'll have to look up weights. I could probably go up to my local Subaru dealer and check on price / availability of the 05/06 springs, but from most of my previous experience there, they really want to sell you a new Subaru. That a 9, .40, or .45? :D Dennis
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Well call me stubborn, but "I gots to know". Forester IS a good 300+ lbs lighter than the Baja (the aluminum hood can't make THAT much difference). Wonder where all the other weight is? I mean engine, trans, driveline is all basically the same (my automatic Forester probably weighs a bit more for tranny).
Now the unloaded strut measurements: came out to 22.5 for the Baja, and 22 for the Forester. Distance from top of lower spring basket to center of top knuckle bolt was 9.5" on Baja and 9.125 on the Forester, which may have a taller basket.
Currently looking at a possible set of 06 springs (still some confusion on new OEM part #s as some places seem to indicate same for left and right and others have different #s. Finding 20330AE64A for both sides and same # for right with 66A for left ??????. Of course dealer will want a VIN# to try to find a part (I had to raise heck when I needed an oil cooler O-ring and didn't have my VIN with me. Finally got a REAL parts person (and that's what I do) and he went and got the O ring :roll:. Dennis
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

ZUBAJA wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:17 pm Well call me stubborn, but "I gots to know". Forester IS a good 300+ lbs lighter than the Baja (the aluminum hood can't make THAT much difference). Wonder where all the other weight is? I mean engine, trans, driveline is all basically the same (my automatic Forester probably weighs a bit more for tranny).
Now the unloaded strut measurements: came out to 22.5 for the Baja, and 22 for the Forester. Distance from top of lower spring basket to center of top knuckle bolt was 9.5" on Baja and 9.125 on the Forester, which may have a taller basket.
Currently looking at a possible set of 06 springs (still some confusion on new OEM part #s as some places seem to indicate same for left and right and others have different #s. Finding 20330AE64A for both sides and same # for right with 66A for left ??????. Of course dealer will want a VIN# to try to find a part (I had to raise heck when I needed an oil cooler O-ring and didn't have my VIN with me. Finally got a REAL parts person (and that's what I do) and he went and got the O ring :roll:. Dennis
The weight difference is likely in the unibody construction. Keep in mind the baja is based off the beefier legacy platform while the forester is based off the impreza, which was designed to be lighter.
From what I've read, the Forester suspension is not fully compatible with the bajas. However, the 2000-2004 legacy/outback suspension is 100% compatible, but will not give the correct height for the 04-06 models... but you have an 03 so this is a moot point.
See this post for all the non-turbo strut and spring part #s:
viewtopic.php?p=19854#p19854
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Guacamole wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:19 pm
ZUBAJA wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:17 pm Well call me stubborn, but "I gots to know". Forester IS a good 300+ lbs lighter than the Baja (the aluminum hood can't make THAT much difference). Wonder where all the other weight is? I mean engine, trans, driveline is all basically the same (my automatic Forester probably weighs a bit more for tranny).
The weight difference is likely in the unibody construction. Keep in mind the baja is based off the beefier legacy platform while the forester is based off the impreza, which was designed to be lighter.
From what I've read, the Forester suspension is not fully compatible with the bajas. However, the 2000-2004 legacy/outback suspension is 100% compatible, but will not give the correct height for the 04-06 models... but you have an 03 so this is a moot point.
See this post for all the non-turbo strut and spring part #s:
viewtopic.php?p=19854#p19854
correct on both. the forester's more boxy so it looks bigger but they are in fact smaller. the extra steel to add an inch to height and width adds up fast. Another contributor to the baja's heft is that it has a bed, the chrome pillars are structural because the sharp joint between the bed and body carries a LOT of stress. Same reason the Chevy Avalanche has the same pillar and the 1st gen Honda Ridgeline has the funny looking angle there. Honda did a crapton of engineering and reinforcement on the gen2 Ridgeline to get away with the more conventional angle.

Line them up in a drag race since they have the same drivetrain and tell me they're anywhere near the same weight. The Baja wears it's weight well, it doesn't feel that heavy till you're trying to merge into moving traffic from a stop. I took it to Chicago a year or 2 ago for the auto show and found myself easily WOT to keep up with traffic. Not like the more laid back country driving I've become used to.

As to the struts, the Forester is based on the imprezza platform and most models have chapman struts in back (like mcphearson without being able to steer). I can try to grab some pics of my 03 with the kings but I really like them for daily duty. them +1" strut spacers is probably as much as I'd want to do without supporting mods (reindex bushings, new bushings, different beefier CVs, etc)

9, from my HK P7M8. Let's me know if someone's stealing my brass at the range lol.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Thanks again. Looks like I'll be picking up a set of 06 Springs / struts for starters. May add 1" spacers on top of that, but most likely start with just the strut / spring swap. I was considering Tribeca Struts (could get them much cheaper), but too much uncertainity on compatibility. Tribeca definitely seems to have the beef. Baja struts it will be. While we,ve had the Foresters for a while, and I've learned quite a bit about them, I still have a long way to go learning other Subaru pecularities. My Baja seems to keep it's own as far as my driving experience so far. Not totally happy with 5th gear RPMs, but I also understand there is a steeper set of OD gears available. For lift, yeah, the 2" conservative should be adequate, don't really want to go the whole "body lift" thing (even though it looks pretty "bad").
Chasing brass. Yeah, used to do that - especially back in the day when .44 Automag was a buck a round (when a buck still meant something). Used to try to save .45ACP stuff too, but the local ranges won't allow reloads, so not worth that either. Shooting = $$$$$. Dennis