New to this board....question

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Luckyusranch
Scoobytruck Lurker

New to this board....question

Post by Luckyusranch »

New to me a 2004 Baja 132000 miles. Runs like a charm EXCEPT it was loosing power at the oddest times. Lugging...punched the gas; watch the tack race and it would come out of it. Cruise light would come on. No CEL but I think it’s burned out.

Took it to the dealer. Didn’t mind the cost..new hoses, new belts, read all the codes etc. Changed the tranny, all filters. Catalytic converter code. MAF code. A new oxygen sensor....( I think that was it)

Brought it home same problem. Took it back..they fiddled around and couldn’t make it happen. No charge. Again, very intermittent.

I let the tank go pretty empty, dumped a bottle of sea foam in it and the problem seems to have ended except for that crummy cruise light...just seems to come on and I don’t know why. I turn key off the cruise light goes off. No lugging...running like a top...

Last night driving I turned on the high beams and the stereo went off and the cruise light came on again this time with the ABS light. New. Turned off the high beams and the stereo came on. Touched the brakes and the lights dimmed.

Tested the alternator and it reads 14.1...will clean the battery connections and make sure everything’s plugged in. Checked any applicable fuses.

Any thoughts would b3 greatly appreciated before I fork out another $2000....

I love my little Baja....j
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: New to this board....question

Post by Guacamole »

Hey there, I don't know much about engine diagnostics, but after searching through a few threads here & other forums I've come up with some suggestions related to your symptoms:
Firstly, did you happen to write down/save the codes? Those would be helpful.
Secondly, I'm going to assume the check engine light is burned out on your dash & pops up along with the other lights (should get that replaced ASAP).
Thirdly, is the cruise light flashing or solid?

1. Did the dealer replace/clean the MAF sensor?
If there was a code tripped on it, it may be broken/dirty & causing the engine to lag.

2. How old is the battery & is it charged/holding a charge?
I'd also check all the fuses just to be sure.

So far, this could be anything from simply a loose gas cap to potentially a bad ground somewhere in the car- and GOOD LUCK finding that.
Luckyusranch
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Luckyusranch »

MAF sensor is good....all that is checked cleaned etc in my first visit.

Battery is holding a charge and is pretty new....car starts right up.

Checked every applicable fuse both inside and under the hood.

Cruise light is flashing when it comes on and yes I think the CEL is burned out.

I keep fooling with the gas cap but tha5 doesn’t seem to make a difference.

The car came from AZ UT I am the third owner and I have extensive maintenance records...but it’s really cold here, wet and the sea foam really seemed to do the trick until the other night.

I will start writing down the codes.

I appreciate your thoughts and any others. On to the battery terminals today!

J
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Are you using the cruise control when the issue happens?
Luckyusranch
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Luckyusranch »

Ref the cruise control..no. Cruise works fine when it’s not disabled. I have tried it.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Auto or manual trans?

If an auto, "Lugging...punched the gas; watch the tack race and it would come out of it." sounds like maybe an issue with the trans... maybe TPS has a bad patch and the trans doesn't know you're pushing the gas 'till you push all the way.

other electrical issues aren't fuses but do sound feasible for bad grounds... happy hunting [smilie=grrrrrr.gif] but could also cause the engine running issues.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Luckyusranch
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Luckyusranch »

Auto; turbo

Cleaned the battery terminal (pos)today so started out with no blinking cruise light: car ran great but cruise light started blinking about10 miles into my trip. No symptoms.

Tried everything but still just runs great
J
Luckyusranch
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Luckyusranch »

Kamesama.... explain TPS.... I’m a dumb girl😇
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

TPS = Throttle position sensor.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/sy ... ion-sensor

I wonder if the banjo bolt filters are dirty?
Luckyusranch
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Luckyusranch »

I asked about the banjo bolt and I was told this mod lbdid not have one: could that be?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Whoever told you that either doesn't know anything about Subie turbos ( ironic coming from me... LOL :mrgreen: ) or doesn't know the colloquial name for them... and if it's a Subie tech SHAME ON THEM!!!
Here's the part, it's number 14439AA010 (Subaru calls it a "Union screw"): https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/SCR ... AA010.html
And a video confirming from an 04 Baja turbo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb89C5vmXX4

This probably isn't the problem but you should probably get the filters removed (a Subie dealership likely will just replace the filters because they can't work outside of OEM). Power went out last night before I could edit & remove the last sentence of my previous post... but alas. Kamesama's probably right on the money with the TPS sensor though. He actually works on these so his input vastly outweighs mine.
https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/h ... ion-sensor

EDIT: Whilst researching for another tech post I found some posts on the idle control valve & sensor, maybe related?
viewtopic.php?p=18972#p18972
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/sy ... trol-valve
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

aw crap, I just realized its a turbo... drive by wire. throw that out about the TPS. You mention a slew of other work but I see nothing about spark plugs and wires. How old are they? Ever had the trans fluid changed? have you checked the fluid level in the trans?

Don't play the "just a dumb girl" card. Work on improving the state of things.

Actually I haven't had to work on Subarus or even OBD2 cars much but I cut my teeth on cars old enough to not have 1500 codes to tell you all it's ills.
-Russell
03 sport 5mt
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

According to the FSM, the turbos have a TPS.
baja_xt_fsm_fuel_injection_pg14.JPG
baja_xt_fsm_fuel_injection_pg14.JPG (283.4 KiB) Viewed 7021 times
baja_xt_fsm_engine_diagnostics_pg372.JPG
baja_xt_fsm_engine_diagnostics_pg372.JPG (330.66 KiB) Viewed 7021 times
Rockauto also has the parts listed.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/suba ... (tps),5136

Luckyusranch, I think we definitely need the codes so we can get a heading in the sea of guessing. :lol:
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

of course it does but it's used to verify the throttle motor is doing what it should after the ECM calculates fuel and air demand whereas on a mechanical throttle it's part of the equation going into fueling.

In a mech throttle, the shift pattern and fuelling is adjusted using the TPS as an input to what the driver wants to do. That's why you can lug (not technically but that's a different conversation) by opening the mech throttle without the trans knowing it needs to downshift. back in ye olden days, there was a cable that did the same thing going from the throttle to a valve in the trans.

In DBW, both shift pattern and throttle movement are computer controlled by the PCM using the pedal position sensor: you can't get the high-throttle-without-knowing situation. It reads your foot position and calculates what % to open the throttle and what gear to use. you can't get one right without the other. The TPS is only used as verification that the motor on the throttle plate is doing what it's told.

as to actual troubleshooting, how's the transmission fluid? both condition and level. check the manual for how to check it, it is NOT engine off/cold like checking oil.

you mentioned a stack of service docs, when were the plugs AND wires changed?
-Russell
03 sport 5mt