Just how common is head gasket replacement in 03 Baja?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Just how common is head gasket replacement in 03 Baja?

Post by deanrocker »

Sorry. I'm a clueless newb who posted this in wrong spot and don't know how to move it. Anyway, am thinking of buying an '03 Baja with only 88k miles, but internet has scared me into thinking every Subaru gets a failed head gasket by 150k miles, regardless of care for vehicle. What percentage of '03 Bajas do you think need head gasket replacements? Am I looking at 50 percent or more? If so, that's too risky.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Just how common is head gasket replacement in 03 Baja?

Post by Guacamole »

88k miles? If it's under $10k that's a steal.
See these posts:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2577&p=14369&hilit= ... ket#p14369
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1670&p=10051&hilit= ... ket#p10051

Basically it's a crapshoot with all used Subies if you're going to have a head gasket issue. It's mainly dependent on how the PO(s) treated the vehicle. My 06 is now at 190k miles and still has the original gaskets from the factory, and the PO used it as a work truck in upstate NY. Just look for the signs of a failing gasket: seepage between the engine block & heads, smell of maple syrup when the heat is on (leaking coolant mixing with hot oil), and easiest of all: temp gauge on the dash going above halfway.
deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by deanrocker »

Thanks for the feedback. My son's good friend's father owned a Baja. He (and I) lived in Upstate, NY. Peru. Any chance you got his vehicle? CO last name Martin.
Anyway, seems like a steal at $5,200 then. Thanks.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

deanrocker wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:58 pm Thanks for the feedback. My son's good friend's father owned a Baja. He (and I) lived in Upstate, NY. Peru. Any chance you got his vehicle? CO last name Martin.
Anyway, seems like a steal at $5,200 then. Thanks.
Might be! A dealership in PA bought it at auction, then I got it. Atlantic Blue Pearl color. Carfax didn't give PO's name.

:shock: WOW that's the price??? Definitely double-check for head gasket issues, or worse, RUST. On the flip side, if the gaskets are blown but the heads & block are okay, the ~$2k to repair would last you another 200k miles and you get a car WAY below market value! Mine came with 2 shot axles, worn-out sway bar & a bad ball joint, but even after all that I still got it below market! :D

Just saw your other thread too, heck I'd jump on it if I couldn't find anything wrong with it, then take it straight to the nearest Subie dealer & get it inspected. (Also most of us aren't "experts" per-say).