Cabin air filter

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Cabin air filter

Post by oldpro »

The OEM cabin air filter looks like half of a piece of lingerie from Victoria's Secret: a flimsy little thing that's 'way too expensive. All my other Subies (maybe not the '83) had substantial filters. Since the Baja uses a lot of body parts from the Outback line, why in the world this thing? Anyone know of a filter from Fram or other mfr that'll work?
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Cabin air filter

Post by w.rohr »

Mine is the same part as the 02 outback, but I just took mine out and filled in with carbon prefilter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LX ... UTF8&psc=1

Its super cheap and does not have all the gaps the stock one does, only downside is you have to replace it every year or so because if it clogs you will have no cabin airflow
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

How did we ever survive without true-hepa super duper purifying cabin filters for the last century?
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

All I can speak to for the last 30 years or so, is that air quality in the Pacific Northwest and now here in Albuquerque can cause one's hair to turn white and knees to hurt. Had HEPA or even coarse particulate filters been in wide use for this period we might all look and act like teenagers. That being said, I love my '05 and will continue to enjoy driving it as long as I can :D .