SnugTop lid mounting rails & parts

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

SnugTop lid mounting rails & parts

Post by SoobyToo58 »

Hi Folks,
I just bought a used SnugTop lid for my Baja after looking for many months but it is missing the mounting fixtures and hardware.
What I do have are the two lids (large & small) and the hinge assemblies and gas struts which are attached to the larger lid. I also have the lock and the locking rods (if that's what they're called) which are also attached top the larger lid. I have all the weather seals and rubber parts as well.
I'm looking for the mounting rails that attach to the right and left top side of the vehicle bed. These rails are where the hinge plates on the large lid would attach to to mount the lid on the vehicle.
I'm guessing that no one would have those for sale but I could fabricate them myself if I know exactly what they look like.
Just so there's no confusion, I believe the SnugTop lid/tonneau cover was available as an aftermarket dealer option. Subaru also made their own hard cover/lid for the Baja which was different than the SnugTop.
Can anyone out there help me out and send me a bunch of close up, in focus and well lit photos of the lid in the open position showing these mounting rails and all the associated hardware that goes with it?
I've looked around online for good photos and can't find any so without good photos I wont be able to mount the lid.
To all who read this
I wish you A Great Thanksgiving!
HaHaBajAlcyone
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: SnugTop lid mounting rails & parts

Post by HaHaBajAlcyone »

I have a Snug Top that I'm restoring for my Baja, and I believe I can find the rails and take a few pictures and measurements.
[smilie=coolup.gif]
Mattiator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Mattiator »

Not sure how quickly I can get pics, but I have a SnugTop mounted on mine at the moment as well. will update when I get good pics
Allshownogo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Allshownogo »

HaHaBajAlcyone wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:49 pm I have a Snug Top that I'm restoring for my Baja, and I believe I can find the rails and take a few pictures and measurements.
[smilie=coolup.gif]

Hey have found seals for the Snug Top?
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

HaHaBajAlcyone wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:49 pm I have a Snug Top that I'm restoring for my Baja, and I believe I can find the rails and take a few pictures and measurements.
[smilie=coolup.gif]
That would be a godsend because I'm still looking all over the internet and haven't found anything yet. I'm on the east coast and I want to get the thing installed before the first snow which could happen at any time. Once I see the photos I'll still have to get them made and I don't know how long that will take because there will probably be some welding involved.
In the meantime I've been trying to build a mock up of the rails but that's difficult top do because the top surface that the rails rest on is not perfectly straight and there's that bump out under the roll bars so I really need to see the originals and hopefully you'll be able to find them soon and take a load of good pictures.
Thanks a lot for responding!
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

Mattiator wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:01 pm Not sure how quickly I can get pics, but I have a SnugTop mounted on mine at the moment as well. will update when I get good pics
Hi Mattiator,
I'm sending you the same message I sent to thge other guy who responded to my request.
Good pics would be a godsend because I'm still looking all over the internet and haven't found anything yet. I'm on the east coast and I want to get the thing installed before the first snow which could happen at any time. Once I see the photos I'll still have to get them made and I don't know how long that will take because there will probably be some welding involved.
In the meantime I've been trying to build a mock up of the rails but that's difficult top do because the top surface that the rails rest on is not perfectly straight and there's that bump out under the roll bars so I really need to see the originals and hopefully you'll be able to find them soon and take a load of pictures.
Thanks a lot for responding!
HaHaBajAlcyone
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by HaHaBajAlcyone »

Allshownogo wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:21 am
[smilie=coolup.gif]

My seals were all in decent shape so I didn't have to find those. I will be looking for new struts to replace the originals though...
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

HaHaBajAlcyone wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:18 pm
Allshownogo wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:21 am
[smilie=coolup.gif]

My seals were all in decent shape so I didn't have to find those. I will be looking for new struts to replace the originals though...
Hi Allshownogo,
I may be able to help you with that.
I'm assuming that there was only one model of hard Tonneau cover made by SnugTop for the Subaru Baja but I really don't know if that's true or not.
Here's what I've found out about the gas struts that were original to mine. I bought my SnugTop used last month but I know the struts were originals because they had both the SnugTop logo and the Suspa Part number imprinted on them.
If yours is not a SnugTop brand Tonneau cover than the gas struts might be different and have different specs.

ORIGINAL PART
Brand: Suspa
19.7", 50 lbs. Gas Prop, Suspa Part # C16-22385
Center-to-Center Length * Extended 19.7" (500mm) * Compressed 11.8"
Manufacturer Part Number: C16-22385
$30.00 each with 5 year warranty
https://shop.suspa.com/c16-22385-gas-spring-p4992.aspx

Here are aftermarket struts and links with the same specs as my originals.

eBay
Do a search on eBay using Item No# 390851988309
$24.99 for 2 PLUS $12.90 Expedited Shipping
Unknown warranty- Ask the seller!
Unknown brand but all the specs match the originals

Lift Supports Depot
Item No# 4247S10
$24.75 each PLUS shipping
Unknown warranty- Ask the seller!
Unknown brand but all the specs match the originals
https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/lift- ... 10491s10w/

Another possible source is
Guden
http://www.guden.com/ItemDisplay/Standa ... as-Springs

If you want to shop for a possible better price then these,
do a Google search using gas strut C16-22385

The important specs that should match on replacements are;
Center-to-Center Length * Extended 19.7" (500mm) * Compressed 11.8"
(Center-to-Center Length means the center of the round opening on each end NOT the full length of the strut from end to end!)
I'm assuming that the pressure rating of the original can vary on the replacement by a pound or two either way.

If yours is not a SnugTop and you don't have the part numbers or don't have the original struts themselves, let me know because I have some ideas on how to solve that problem.

I hope all this can help you!

Now, can you please help me out?
Please read my posts above.
I need some photos of the mounting rails that the large lid mounts on to. These are the parts that are attached to the left and right top side of the bed where the big hinge assembly attaches. I need them real soon because I need to mount the cover before it snows which could happen at any time.
I need good, well lit and in focus photos showing the whole rail with the lid open. A few photos from different angles would be a big help.
Can you do it?

Thanks!
Allshownogo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Allshownogo »

Yes I can and will.
I'll be home monday.
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

Allshownogo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:39 pm Yes I can and will.
I'll be home monday.
Great! I'll wait to hear from you. BTW, I'd also like to know the exact thickness of the steel that the rail is made of.
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

[smilie=coolup.gif]
Hi again,
It would really be a big help if you get those photos posted like you mentioned. At the risk of sounding pushy, I need to get this done soon in case it snows because I need to use the bed to carry work tools and equipment.
I'd also like to know the exact thickness of the metal that the rails are made of. It will take me some time because I'll have to make some drawings and go to a local metal shop and have them bend them up and also do some welding so the more photos, the better.
Thank You!
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

SoobyToo58 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:30 pm
Allshownogo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:39 pm Yes I can and will.
I'll be home monday.
Great! I'll wait to hear from you. BTW, I'd also like to know the exact thickness of the steel that the rail is made of.
Hi again,
It would really be a big help if you get those photos posted like you mentioned. At the risk of sounding pushy, I need to get this done soon in case it snows because I need to use the bed to carry work tools and equipment.
I'd also like to know the exact thickness of the metal that the rails are made of. It will take me some time because I'll have to make some drawings and go to a local metal shop and have them bend them up and also do some welding so the more photos, the better.
Thank You!
Allshownogo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Allshownogo »

Hey if you need more info let me know.
All pics are on the LH side bracket if RH side is the same just mirrored.
P.S. my Photoshop skills are rusty i for got to how to stitch the pics together.

Specs:
over all length- 39 3/4 inches
length to the notch 36 1/4 inches
height 2 3/8 inches
with 1 1/2 inches
thickness 0.1220 inches
Attachments
LH Side with 16in ruler.jpg
LH Side with 16in ruler.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 13476 times
IMG_20171204_191726.jpg
IMG_20171204_191726.jpg (985.26 KiB) Viewed 13476 times
IMG_20171204_191134.jpg
IMG_20171204_191134.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 13476 times
Last edited by Allshownogo on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allshownogo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Allshownogo »

Heres Sum Mo
Attachments
LH SIDE 3
LH SIDE 3
IMG_20171204_191606.jpg (892.32 KiB) Viewed 13476 times
LH SIDE 2
LH SIDE 2
IMG_20171204_191559.jpg (890.6 KiB) Viewed 13476 times