SnugTop lid mounting rails & parts

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Re: SnugTop lid mounting rails & parts

Post by SoobyToo58 »

Is there anyone out there who can help me get these measurements?
Mattiator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Mattiator »

When I next have the snuglid off I'll get 'em. No guarantees when that'll be though, sorry.
SteveNC
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by SteveNC »

SoobyToo58 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:03 pm
Allshownogo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pmYEP
Hello again,
Were you able to answer my other questions? I need a bunch of other measurements but I would need you to answer those questions first.
Also, if I find a source for the 4 Rubber Roll Bar Seals, are you interested?

Hello, I just came across this thread and I need the new rubber roll bar seals. I called SnugTop and they had me contact one of their dealers who purchased the last of the stock when they decided to discontinue parts for the Baja SnugTop. Unfortunately that dealer sold out about six months ago. My current plan is to make a mold and try making my own seals. I would rather buy new ones.
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1996 Coachmen RB-19 (Ford E250)
1983 Mazda RX-7 GS
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

SteveNC wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 am
SoobyToo58 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:03 pm
Allshownogo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pmYEP
Hello again,
Were you able to answer my other questions? I need a bunch of other measurements but I would need you to answer those questions first.
Also, if I find a source for the 4 Rubber Roll Bar Seals, are you interested?

Hello, I just came across this thread and I need the new rubber roll bar seals. I called SnugTop and they had me contact one of their dealers who purchased the last of the stock when they decided to discontinue parts for the Baja SnugTop. Unfortunately that dealer sold out about six months ago. My current plan is to make a mold and try making my own seals. I would rather buy new ones.
Yeah! They're sold out. I bought the second to last set of 4 just before that. I'm rebuilding my SnugTop and I anticipate the rubber seals wont last forever so I was think of making my own just the way you were. The trick would be embedding the metal strip with the studs in each of them. That might be tricky.
Let me know if you pull it off. I might buy an extra set from you. Since I have a new set, I'm in no hurry to get it done myself.
SteveNC
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by SteveNC »

" The trick would be embedding the metal strip with the studs in each of them. That might be tricky."
What do you mean; don't they just pop out like most regular gaskets?

I haven't tried to remove mine yet. I just assumed that they were a slip fit over the fiberglass much like a regular rubber grommet. On my Baja, the ones toward the front of the car look OK, but the larger ones on the hinged top are weather cracked. They aren't horrible, but will need to be replaced within a year or so. My plan was to just pop them out this summer, make a mold of my originals with a plastic vacuum forming mold and then press in some Versimold into the mold to make new gaskets. I already have the Versimold; it is kind of like play-dough. Maybe I need to contact Snug Top again and find out who made the seals for them.
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1996 Coachmen RB-19 (Ford E250)
1983 Mazda RX-7 GS
HaHaBajAlcyone
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by HaHaBajAlcyone »

The seals actually bolt on from the underside. How do I know this? I am currently in the process of refinishing a Snugtop from yellow to Altlantic Blue... I've had it for a couple years and I'm finally getting to it, or should I say, my body/paint guy is. I was digging all the peripheral goodies like rails, locking mechanism, and yes, the rubber seals too, out of my garage. It's a mess! :oops: Fortunately my seals are in pretty good condition...

For Scoobietoo58, I will get your measurements... finally. I believe I said I would some time ago, so my apologies for the wait. :?
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

SteveNC wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:52 pm
" The trick would be embedding the metal strip with the studs in each of them. That might be tricky."
What do you mean; don't they just pop out like most regular gaskets?

I haven't tried to remove mine yet. I just assumed that they were a slip fit over the fiberglass much like a regular rubber grommet. On my Baja, the ones toward the front of the car look OK, but the larger ones on the hinged top are weather cracked. They aren't horrible, but will need to be replaced within a year or so. My plan was to just pop them out this summer, make a mold of my originals with a plastic vacuum forming mold and then press in some Versimold into the mold to make new gaskets. I already have the Versimold; it is kind of like play-dough. Maybe I need to contact Snug Top again and find out who made the seals for them.

Steve,
No, they don't just "pop" out and I wouldn't call them gaskets. I would call them seals as other have been calling them here.
Each rubber seal has 3 or 4 studs or bolts protruding from the underside of it that go through holes in the Tonneau cover. Nuts are screwed on from underneath (inside) the Tonneau cover to attach each seal.
When I bought my used Tonneau cover, it was damaged and missing almost all the the important metal parts used to attach it to the vehicle. (I had to fabricate all those parts.)
It had the old seals but they were severely dry rotted and almost crumbled in my hands.
The seals have crescent shaped light gauge metal plates embedded around the perimeter of the the rubber. The plates have small metal studs like small bolts (I think they're 10-24) with very thin heads attached to them (probably spot welded to the plates). In one photo I tried to show the outline of the metal plates
I have attached two photos of one of the old dry rotted seals that was in the best condition that I kept. (I took these photos and inserted the notations and lines and such in a rush so they're not the best photos.)
On one photo I drew in red an outline of where the plate is so you get the idea.
If you're going to use the old seals for mold making I would suggest you do it sooner rather than later. The more dry rotted and cracked the old ones get, the more deformed they will be which will be reflected in the new ones and they wont fit and seal as well. Also, make sure you place the studs accurately with the seal itself.
The new ones I have don't actually fit all that well themselves. The front and back ones don't line up well with each other so there are spaces where water can still get in which is why you want to be accurate in reproducing them.

If you do wind up reproducing them PLEASE contact me and let me know. I would REALLY like to know how they turn out.
If you have any questions just ask.
Good Luck!
Attachments
P1130275.JPG
P1130275.JPG (502.88 KiB) Viewed 6947 times
P1130272.JPG
P1130272.JPG (296.75 KiB) Viewed 6947 times
HaHaBajAlcyone
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by HaHaBajAlcyone »

Wow, those seals are nasty! :shock:

Scoobytoo58, I have some info for you regarding your measurements...
For question 1): Yes, the width of the bottom flange is consistent front to back except! there is a small notch on the bottom edge directly between the mounting studs for the hinge plate, providing some clearance for the thread of the detaching screw that protrudes through the back of the hinge plate. The notch looks like this: /--------\ and is 1/8" deep and a total of 1" long. If you have the hinge plates you should be able to see what I mean by looking at the backside of it....

So on to the measurements...
A) 6 - 1/4"
B) 7 - 5/16"
C) 3/4"
D) 1 - 1/4"
E) 1 - 1/16"
F) 2"
G) 2 - 1/2"
H) 5 - 1/2"
J) 6 - 3/4"
K) 3 - 3/8"

if you have any questions, need clarification or more measurements, let me know...
drsmoron
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by drsmoron »

Hello, would you happen to have the measurements of the cross member hardware? A picture would be great too. Attaching a schematic pic of the crossmember I'm looking for.
Dan

Cross member
Cross member
Screenshot_20190812-061743.jpg (354.52 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
Taylor.Baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Taylor.Baja »

Hello all,

I'm just now joining in this conversation from a few years ago. I recently acquired a snugtop cover and have been restoring the metal pieces, and eventually will tackle the faded/scuffed paint on the cover. I don't have any of the seals for around the pillars though. Did anyone end up making a mold for these? I also don't have the hindge bracket, but saw above where I should be able to purchase these.

If anyone needs measurements still I can certainly provide detailed measurements (hobbyist woodworker and engineer by trade). I'd greatly appreciate any info on the seals, I'm willing to learn how to make a mold and create replacements, but I'll need somewhere to start. Thank you all!

-Taylor