Sounds like a bad wheel bearing but it wasn't (I think?)

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

FinnTheBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing but it wasn't (I think?)

Post by FinnTheBaja »

Howdy folks!

I've started to notice a roaring kind of dull noise coming from the front of my car. It happens pretty obviously as soon as I begin to turn the wheel to the right. Otherwise, when driving forward, it's relatively unnoticeable(but still present). As soon as I turn the wheel to the left, however, It goes away. Sounds like a wheel bearing, right?

SO I changed the wheel bearing on the Front DRIVER's side. To my dismay, the sound continues. Any suggestions on how I should move forward would be super appreciated! [smilie=666.gif]
Attachments
IMG_8288.jpg
IMG_8288.jpg (470.71 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Sounds like a bad wheel bearing but it wasn't (I think?)

Post by Guacamole »

Might be one of the axles. Check the joints in both the front CV axles, and play around with the axle to see if it pops or wiggles (also if the cv boots are broken, the joint is most likely broken). If it does, the axle is shot.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

passenger side bearing. axles don't usually grind. I worked in a shop for a few years and saw the same thing happen several times. one of them, a coworker swapped bearings twice and got my attention with colorful language about bad parts out of the box when I stopped him and helped him troubleshoot and found the other side was actually the bad one.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
FinnTheBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by FinnTheBaja »

kamesama980 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:50 am passenger side bearing. axles don't usually grind. I worked in a shop for a few years and saw the same thing happen several times. one of them, a coworker swapped bearings twice and got my attention with colorful language about bad parts out of the box when I stopped him and helped him troubleshoot and found the other side was actually the bad one.
'

Brilliant! I'm looking at each of the bearings and the passenger side does seem to be a little more clunky when pulling the wheel at a "3 and 9 o'clock" position".

The sound I'm hearing when I'm driving though, that sound wouldn't be caused by a bad lower ball joint, would it? I was looking around and found a ball joint on the transverse link of the driver's side to be pretty leaky and sad looking.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

ball joints will be clunky, not growly when driving.

leaking boots are a warning, play in the joint means replacement time.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
FinnTheBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by FinnTheBaja »

That's great kam, I'll keep you updated on what happens!