Broken Exhaust Troubles

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

FinnTheBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Broken Exhaust Troubles

Post by FinnTheBaja »

Howdy folks. I'm looking for some advice on how to move forward.

I was changing the downstream 02 sensor on my 2005 Baja and it was really stuck in there. In the process of removal, I actually removed the entire threaded fixture that was connected to the converter. (I'll include photos below).

Now I'm in a dilemma. Should I

A) Try to fix the exhaust. Clean it up and weld the bung back on.

B) Get this part right here. I was told by the folks at CARID that it's the correct fit and everything.
https://www.carid.com/2005-subaru-baja- ... 61347.html

C) Upgrade and get a nicer exhaust. I don't know anything about getting catless pipes or anything like that. In fact, I don't even know where to start looking. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks and just getting a whole new system. I already have a catless downpipe but maybe going full catless would be cool? Or maybe it's a terrible Idea? Let me know your thoughts, I'm very new to the scooby game.

Image 1 is the threaded bung that the 02 sensor screws into. It broke clean off the cat. Image 2 is the cat. That hole is where the threaded bung used to sit. The final one is the part option I could get from CarID. It costs roughly 200 bucks but if I can pay a little more and get a nice upgrade for my exhaust, why not, right?

PLEASE let me know your thoughts!

Cheers!
Attachments
IMG_3313.JPG
IMG_3313.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 5100 times
IMG_3315.JPG
IMG_3315.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 5100 times
sub3031r_0.jpg
sub3031r_0.jpg (36.14 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
bobjr94
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Broken Exhaust Troubles

Post by bobjr94 »

I put this on my 05 turbo a few days ago (the amazon review & pics is also mine)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017JG04TE/
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

You say you're new to Subarus, have you ever messed with modifying a turbo car before? going catless is kind of bolt on but also kind of not because it'll throw codes you're going to be stuck with unless you do some programming or mechanical fiddling to bypass it. I'd suggest doing a bit more research and planning it out.

If it were mine, I'd clean up the bung and cat with a wire wheel and weld it back up. How much I'd trust a shop or someone else to weld it up... I've seen shops do great work and some that refuse to touch used exhaust.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
FinnTheBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by FinnTheBaja »

bobjr94 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:04 am I put this on my 05 turbo a few days ago (the amazon review & pics is also mine)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017JG04TE/
That looks awesome man! How much was it if you don't mind me asking? Is it a pretty noticeable difference? I'd be worried about throwing the code but if you're not having issues, I may consider it in the future! For now, like Kam suggested, I ended up just cleaning out the bung and having it welded back on. Problem solved(for now)!
bobjr94
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bobjr94 »

It was $369, surprised it's out of stock already. It's been a week now and no leaks or problems. Also, their picture isn't right, it does have a cat in it.