Possible engine issues?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Mushu84
Scoobytruck Lurker

Possible engine issues?

Post by Mushu84 »

I recently bought an '05 Baja XT, and part of the deal was that the engine was to be rebuilt before I got the car, as the 2nd cylinder had low compression.

I got the car this Thursday(05/18/17) and all seems well, however when I was getting on the freeway, once I hit about 55 mph on the on ramp, it acted as though I had completed taken my foot off the accelerator for a second, then gave her gas again. The CEL had come on and stayed solid, but she seemed fine after that. After fighting with my Bluetooth OBDII reader to connect to my phone(which it refused to do), the CEL had gone away.

When I test drove the car, before the rebuild, It had done the same thing when I was pushing her, and I assumed the engine rebuild would resolve that issue.

Other than the short but sudden loss of acceleration, the car seems fine. She feels like she lugs a bit when I'm accelerating, but that might because I'm a little over paranoid and over babying her during her break-in period.

Any one have any ideas of what it could be, and/or how to fix it? The engine has a full warranty for the rebuild shop, but if it's something I might be able to remedy on my own, I'd rather not be without my car for another couple of weeks.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Possible engine issues?

Post by kamesama980 »

There isn't really an XT trim, it's sport or turbo.

Your symptom of sudden loss and return of power sounds like an electrical/sensor/ECU issue rather than an engine mechanical issue (rebuild).

Note for next time, never assume the shop knows all the issues you do and that one repair will fix them all. Just never assume. always tell them everything you've found and hope to have fixed. At this point I'd at least talk to the shop about both issues even if you don't pay them to troubleshoot non-warranty issues.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back