Baja turbo insane EGT temps ?????

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Alcyonex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Alcyonex »

I have an 06 baja turbo 5mt that I swapped an 04 forester xt 5mt ecu. I then bought an AP from Cobb and used the OTS Stage 1 93 octane map. I also have a short ram intake and full 3" DP & exhaust amongst other minor upgrades.
I have been getting craaaaazy knock values, like off throttle cruising -30 on feedback knock and -10 at wot; and my EGTs are 700 when you first start the car, 1100 at idle when warm, and 1550 at wot around 11psi. WTF!?!?!?! Car seems to run fine, no audible knock. Is the 04 forester to 06 bajat ecus too different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Baja turbo insane EGT temps ?????

Post by bajaguy »

Designed for a different sensor maybe that operates in a different range of voltages?
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Baja turbo insane EGT temps ?????

Post by kamesama980 »

Exactly what other "small upgrades" do you have?
Is it tuned at all or just toss whatever map in there?
After what mod did it start acting up? (hint, go back, see if it improves)
How are you measuring EGT? aftermarket EGT gauge I'd guess, is the thermocouple matched to the gauge? Is there a plug or is it hardwired? Where is the EGT probe?
Do you have a Wideband O2 or are you trying to tune by EGT?

Faulty knock sensor (falsely sending that it's knocking) would cause the ECU to retard timing which drives up EGTs.
Could also be running lean, how and where is the O2 sensor? any exhaust leaks upstream of it? how old is it? lean = high EGT and knock.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Alcyonex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Alcyonex »

BackStory:
The car had blown a turbo and snapped a tbelt, and was rebuilt by a local Subaru shop, an the used car dealer had them install an eBay Turbo . The car ran strong when I got it and I had all the info on the repaired, still in warranty, so I thought it would be good, at least for awhile. Wrong! The TGVs failed right after I got it, then the ECU failed, then the turbo, then the trans. I almost scrapped it but the body and interior are in such good shape I decided to fix it. I picked up and AP and '04 XT ECU and unplugged and tuned out the TGVs. But the failed turbo filling the cat up with oil caused that to fail. So I installed a used WRX Turbo (with good shaft play), a Perrin Turbo inlet hose (stock hose fell apart) & Short Ram, 3" catless HKS DP and full exhaust, leaving the front cat in the stock up-pipe. CEL came on for a cat of course. All O2 sensor are still stock and reading as designed. I had an idea that the front cat was messed up from oil being burned, but not as bad as the rear one, considering the exhaust side Turbo impeller snapped off and was laying in the rear cat, which is where most of the oil went. Since there was a lake of oil in the intake, I'm assuming the front cat got its fair share, enough to throw a code.
Fast forward to today:
I was assuming the stock EGT probe was used for monitoring the engine dynamics but was told later its just to monitor the cat, which makes sense since it has, and is still ingesting lots of oil. So more than likely I'm worrying about nothing with the EGTs being high. However, after performing an induction service on the Baja today, it seems the EGTs have gone down a bit, the cat seeing about 1450 degrees at WOT and A/F holding at 11.14, and engine knock has returned to an acceptable level of -2.00 on the feedback knock. I did pull the intercooler and throttle body again earlier today and there was no oil in the intake, and with the fact that it's using 2qts per 1k miles, it leads me to believe that the engine may have lots of blow by and it will need rebuilt or replaced soon. I'll do a leak down test next to confirm my suspicions. If the leak down test comes back bad, then there my knocking issue and EGT problem all wrapped into 1. Being the fact that this is not my daily, I hope I can get another year out of it before it needs Overhauled..
Realistically, Im not looking for lots of power out of this thing right now, that's what my 535i is for, however I do want it to run as efficiently as possible and a mild stage 1 Cobb tune is good enough for me.