Replaced Shot Rear Struts, Now Hear "Boing" Sound Over Bumps

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Cruzberg
Scoobytruck Lurker

Replaced Shot Rear Struts, Now Hear "Boing" Sound Over Bumps

Post by Cruzberg »

Hi All,
I replaced the rear struts on my 06 Sport. Kept the coil springs and strut mounts, just swapped out struts for a pair of quality ones from Kragen. The ride is better but now whenever I go over any bump I hear a popping, or "boing" sound as if the coils are vibrating a loose component. I've checked and rechecked everything, all nuts were tightened with a torque wrench. I've read that replacing the strut mounts might help, but I wanted to get your guys' opinion first.

I just took it to a mechanic and he pointed out that, inside the cab where the mounts are bolted in, he noted that the fixture with the hex head (pictured below) has some vertical play when he bounces the car. We tightened those hex screws tighter than we found them. Is it normal for them to have that play, or ought they remain stationary when the car bounces? Can we tighten those down without removing the strut assembly from the car again?

Thanks!
17910974_10103196887933358_2132051480_n.jpg
17910974_10103196887933358_2132051480_n.jpg (52.43 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Replaced Shot Rear Struts, Now Hear "Boing" Sound Over Bumps

Post by kamesama980 »

That's why you always replace the mounts with the struts. There's a bushing in there that's worn out or was damaged in the course of changing the struts. You now need to do another strut job to replace it.

I worked in a shop for a while and did a lot of shocks/struts. A lot of customers tried to cheap out by not getting them, I talked most into doing the right thing. Of the ones that I didn't convince prior to the work, guess how many came back a week later (and were upset that we wouldn't do it under warranty because I warned them and made them initial my notes on the WO to that effect).

The studs and nuts to either side of hte hole should be tight. There's a torque spec to follow (just like everything). Or do you mean the top of the strut (in the hole) moves? very little movement would be acceptable (since there's a bushing) but there shouldn't be play.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back