Had clutch replaced in 03 Baja professionally. Lots of side effects?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

2Hipp
Scoobytruck Lurker

Had clutch replaced in 03 Baja professionally. Lots of side effects?

Post by 2Hipp »

My Scooby truck was returned with an odd rattle, possible exhaust leak, and the rear stereo speakers no longer working. Following day I lost my passenger low beam head light. Put in a new one, it's not the bulb. Mechanic say it can't be related to clutch. No, he didn't look at it. He said he would be happy to check it out but electrical can be very time consuming/$$$. Okay, I'm a girl! But it seems related. Per google exhaust was removed/exhaust manifold & cat. Maybe something was not tightened properly? Heat effecting/damaging my wiring?
Any thoughts? - FYI I do my own reg maintenance so, somewhat mechanically inclined. Tune ups oil changes alternator and starter replacements and more.
2Hipp
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Had clutch replaced in 03 Baja professionally. Lots of side effects?

Post by 2Hipp »

Nothing? Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Describe the rattle: is it a high-pitch or low-pitched noise? What part of the car does it sound like it's coming from (front, left, back, etc.)? Does the rattle only happen in motion? Does the rattle only happen or go away when you change gears? Does the car vibrate when you hear the rattle?
The mechanic may have improperly reinstalled the transmission, exhaust, drive shaft, or some other component that had to be disconnected to service the clutch.

As for the electrical problems, first thing to check would be the fuses & see if any of those are blown. If not, then it's a problem in the wiring, & that's serious $$$. The headlight fuse box is located on the driver's side of the engine bay right behind the battery. The interior fuse box is located behind the coin tray under the dashboard (you have to finagle with it to remove it).
There should be a fuse diagram in the owner's manual, but here's the diagram from an 06 if you don't have one:
fuse1.JPG
fuse1.JPG (71.44 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
fuse2.JPG
fuse2.JPG (68.53 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
fuse3.JPG
fuse3.JPG (61.23 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Either way, I'd take it to the closest Subaru technician ASAP & ask them to look at it.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Depending on how the clutch was accessed, different things need to be undone; either the engine can be removed leaving the transmission in place, or the transmission can be removed without touching the engine.

Personally, I removed the transmission when I did my clutch, because I don't have an engine crane/hoist, which required dropping the exhaust and drive shaft, disconnecting the front axles and some electrical connectors, removing the starter, and some other miscellaneous things (brackets, etc.).

If he removed the engine (which, I think, is the more common way for those with an engine crane), a bunch of electrical connections would have been undone, but I don't think the headlight would be one of them. Now, if he wasn't careful and hit it on the way out/in, maybe that could have done something, but it's a bit of a reach.

Either way, the rattle could be exhaust, because it needs to be unbolted from the engine in both methods.

I don't see how the speakers would be related.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Speakers and headlight sound unrelated. I believe those wires all run under the front driver's fender, not in the engine bay. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't tighten a heat shield well on the exhaust causing your rattle.
2Hipp
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2Hipp »

Thanks for all the info! I put a little electrical jelly on the headlight connector and it's working. Yay. The rattle is the clutch. It goes away once warmed up, mechanic says that's okay. Still sounds like exhaust leak but they checked everything. All good. They did drain the full synthetic oil in the transaxle and replaced with OEM... maybe that's why it sounds loud to me? Or could be due to fact that I'm no longer enjoying my awesome stereo. They said possibly in line fuse blew on stereo when they pulled battery...

At least nothing is melting!
Thanks again.👍🏻
2Hipp
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2Hipp »

Guacamole wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:19 pm Describe the rattle: is it a high-pitch or low-pitched noise? What part of the car does it sound like it's coming from (front, left, back, etc.)? Does the rattle only happen in motion? Does the rattle only happen or go away when you change gears? Does the car vibrate when you hear the rattle?
The mechanic may have improperly reinstalled the transmission, exhaust, drive shaft, or some other component that had to be disconnected to service the clutch.

As for the electrical problems, first thing to check would be the fuses & see if any of those are blown. If not, then it's a problem in the wiring, & that's serious $$$. The headlight fuse box is located on the driver's side of the engine bay right behind the battery. The interior fuse box is located behind the coin tray under the dashboard (you have to finagle with it to remove it).
There should be a fuse diagram in the owner's manual, but here's the diagram from an 06 if you don't have one:
fuse1.JPG
fuse2.JPG
fuse3.JPG

Either way, I'd take it to the closest Subaru technician ASAP & ask them to look at it.
The rattle sounds like metal on metal and is loud when car is cold. While idling to warm up if I push the clutch in it's gone, no noise. Release, noise. Once warmed up it's quiet but... the car sounds like it's chain driven! I give others a ride and they all ask "What's wrong with your car?"
2Hipp
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2Hipp »

Sounds like metal on metal. Definitely louder when car is cold. If I depress the clutch while idling in neutral (to warm up engine) the noise stops. Release and there it is! Once warmed up it's quiet but the car then sounds like it's chain driven!

He removed the tranny to replace clutch and pulled the battery because an auxiliary wire was in the way.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Okay, now we're making headway. I think this points to a bad clutch throw-out bearing; was this piece replaced during the clutch job?
Also, does the noise sound something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzpMUzk2KVs (sound starts at 0:15)?
2Hipp
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2Hipp »

Exhaust was loud in video, I couldn't tell but probably it. Thank you. Btw... I bought my Baja with 40,000 miles on it. Now at 94,000 clutch is the only fail.