Turbo help

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

rangerD19
Scoobytruck Lurker

Turbo help

Post by rangerD19 »

I've been told my turbo is shot. What can I do to confirm this and how do I keep repairs heading down the right road. _I want it fixed but don't want my guy wasting time or money. You guys are my knowledge pool
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Turbo help

Post by Acro2pilot »

I have a factory turbo I will sell you for $250 shipped, I replaced it with a bigger turbo.

To answer your question of confirming it what are they saying is wrong? Bearing seized, too much shaft play, wastegate stuck etc? What are you seeing, loss of power, smoke, etc? If the turbo is bad then replacing it is fairly straight forward, and if you have a decent tool set and have done things like brakes, or CV shafts etc. it is not a difficult job. If your going to have a shop do it there isn't too much to say, they should be able to get it done in a half a day tops. It would also be a good time to consider a downpipe upgrade since you have to unbolt it, may as well drop in a new one for some power improvement.
rangerD19
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rangerD19 »

Thanks for quick response. It started on Mothers Day I think power loss and some weird noises. Because I have a second Baja I just brought it home and parked it til we could trailer it somewhere to be checked. I started it and let it run 10-20 minutes before loading it. It smoked after it was on trailer didn't when it came off did when mechanic got to it. I guess my other question is $199 off ebay $895-1000 OEM and any guidance. My brother inlaw can do it all instead of mechanic if you say its pretty straight forward. Is there a YouTube out there or other help. Again thanks you guys keep me heading down the right road
rangerD19
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rangerD19 »

AND YOUR TURBO SOUNDS PROMISING is there any matching magic year vin same for same or is it just a turbo
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Same turbo, but whatever turbo you buy stay the hell away from Ebay turbos.
rangerD19
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rangerD19 »

What about used off another baja and are outbacks and others switchable. What should I replace or upgrade when we do this. Are online turbos just a crapshoot. What would yours require if I went that way "if it was you doing the job" ?
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

-A used turbo off another Baja turbo is a direct swap and fairly easy, the oil drain hose is the biggest pain of the whole process. I am sure the one from the Forrester XT is compatible, I don't know much about Outbacks.

-I would suggest replacing the AVCS/ turbo oil hardline with a AN style flexible line since your in there, if you look in the Baja thread on my signature there is a link in there somewhere. Turbo gaskets get reused all the time with much success but as cheap as they are I would always suggest using new ones. You need the one for the up-pipe and the down-pipe. And why not get an Invidia down-pipe for a nice performance gain while you are unbolting stuff?

-Turbos are something that you want to buy name brand only. If you do some digging around the web you can find all manner of reports of ebay turbos being total junk (I am speaking of Chinese knock offs, not actual used turbos sold on ebay)

-If you got the one I have, unbolt yours and bolt this one in with the same suggestions as above.