Let's play "Name That Sensor"

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Let's play "Name That Sensor"

Post by Bobsagator »

Got industrious today and decided to attack the banjo bolts. AVCS bolts were pretty simple, other than both screens were lodged down in the fitting. Some fancy pick work and viola the screens are out.

Time for the turbo banjo bolt. This one was WAY more fun! I had removed the intercooler to access the tranny fluid dipstick (since it was wedged backwards up under the intercooler) to swap with Redline fluid. Went for the downpipe bracket and had to finagle a socket to get the heat shield bolt out of the bracket. I was able to get a socket on the nut side, but while going for the bolt (closer to the engine) my socket slipped off. Apparently I hit a sensor on the back of the engine by the turbo. After getting the banjo bolt out, pulling the screen out of the bolt, and getting everything put back together, there is a CEL. Not living near a parts store to read the code, I ran back over the whole ordeal and remembered the sensor.

So here is a picture of the sensor location. You can only see the black connector to the sensor from this angle at about 7 o'clock from my fingers.

And here is a picture of the cracked sensor.

From the photo it looks like the part number is 22633AA210, which per subarupartsforyou.com is Throttle Position Sensor. It's also over $90, ouch. Of course it also doesn't list the Baja under the "This Part Fits" either. So is this really the TPS? Do you think it is repairable or does it have to be replaced? Is it okay to drive as is until repaired/replaced? I'd go try to take it out now but the engine is hot and I already have enough bald spots on my arms from this car.
~Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way!~
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Let's play "Name That Sensor"

Post by Bobsagator »

Okay, going thru the service manual, it looks like the sensor is actually the Tumble Generator Valve Position Sensor. The pictures in manual look like my victim and appears to be in the same location. But I can't find the sensor on subarupartsforyou.com. A quick google search led me HERE with the quote:
"This sensor detects the position of both the Tumble Generator Valve and the Throttle Position Sensor. There are three on the car in total; two track the position of the TGVs, and one reports the throttle position. We often see the TGV sensor closest to the turbo damaged during turbo swaps; a sharp tap with a wrench is often enough to kill the sensor."

Sounds about right. So I guess it is the TPS and I need to go ahead and order a new one. YAY!
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

OR, do the TGV delete and scrap that whole system, gain about 7~8 HP/TQ and better throttle response. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1741045

I did the TGV delete as a part of all the mods I did, took an afternoon and you will need to have a tuner turn off the code or do it yourself with ROMraider which is super easy. It is totally worth doing and in your case turns a negative into a bonus.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Yeah, the TGV Delete is on my radar, but just not yet. I want to get to drive it for a bit and get a baseline before tinkering.

This sensor is horrific! I tried last night to see if I could remove it because I wanted to see if it could be fixed. It is impossible to get to. After about an hour of sockets and joints and extensions, I end up dropping my contraption into the exhaust heat shield. Well, I wasn't going to get to the sensor bottom bolt without removing the heat shield anyway, so here we go. So in taking off the intercooler, I get a broken hose clamp on the hose at the front of the intercooler. This Baja is really testing my patience...
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

That is in fact a TGV sensor. It is the same part that was used as TPS sensor on the older cable throttle cars. It's a pain to get that side off, it's a bit Easier on the drivers side. You pretty much have to remove stuff to gain access.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Pain is putting it mildly! With the intercooler, heat shield, and the wastegate removed I was at least able to get to the sensor. I ordered a cheapo one off eBay and installed it last night. Installation was unbearable! To install the sensor there is a grounding bolt in the way. Then rotate 90 degrees clockwise and hold while trying to get those tiny screws in. Arg!

Well, it's in and everything put back together. I noticed that not only was the original sensor cracked but the clip that the connector clips onto the sensor was broken off too. So it is not a tight fit but it stays. I'm sure engine vibration will work it off, but I'll think of some way to keep it on.

Start her up and let her run. Then a CEL. I check the sensor connector and it is still on tight. So now I don't know if it is the connector or cheapo sensor. But I may have the joy of doing it all over again...

I need to pull the connector and find the test for it. Then I'm thinking maybe silicone around the connector to the sensor to hold it in place. Maybe a piece of duct-tape. What you guys think?
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Did you clear the code after fixing the sensor? You don't mention it so I gotta ask.
Have you pulled the code to make sure the sensor is the culprit and not something totally different?

Also, still easier than working on my Cressida.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Sorry, haven't been on in a while. Kind of a stand-off with the Baja...

I pulled the battery to reset the code. When it would start it would be fine, but as soon as I gassed it the CEL came back on and the engine would run more rough. I finally drove it to Advance to read the code and it was P1088 for the TGV sensor.

Reading the symptoms in the Manual, it might be caused by the loose connector. So I zip tied the connector to the sensor as best I could. Reset, restart, and re-code. Arg!

I bought a ELM327 and the Dash Command app. It's still reading boost and running fine, just a little rougher idle. I am confused why the app and reader from Advance give a P1088 code when that is not in the Baja diagnostics. It seems to relate to the P2016 for the Baja. Strange.

Friday I plan to remove the intercooler, heat shield, and wastegate to pull it off and try to reinstall it again. I think I might pull the sensor from the drivers side and put it back there to see if it is the sensor. Especially since replacing the drivers side will be so much easier if I have to do it again.

I don't see anything for testing the actual sensor. The DIY on ScoobyMods shows the innards that would seem to at least have continuity between 2 of the 3 leads. I guess that's the only check without taking it apart.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Got industrious and swapped the drivers side sensor with the passenger side and started up again. Now it's reading P1086 so that tells me the cheap-o sensor is no good. At least I now know the passenger connector is okay and it is only the sensor, and now it is at the easy to replace location. Time to find a sensor that actually works...
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

So does anyone have any extra sensors laying around since you did the TGV delete? It is unbelievably irritating to call/visit salvage yards asking for a TPS for an older Legacy or Impreza and they don't have the sensor, and eventually you end up going thru the story that it's for a Baja TGV and you get the blank stare because they think you are a total idiot. I just need a good sensor to get the Baja back on the road, and get rid of the stationary garage hog.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

I pitched mine. I know you want to get a baseline but the TGV delete process is settled science both in performance gains and making the problem go away forever with no downside. TGV delete and get back on the road.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Well, against the advice of Acro, I got a sensor off NASIOC that came in yesterday. Got home from work and put the sensor in, started up, and no code! Drove around a little and the Baja is back to being mobile! It was so much fun to drive to work this morning!

And ironically I went ahead and got an extra sensor off NASIOC just in case. Then my crossbars came in the mail today, and I bought a used Cobb downpipe on NASIOC. Hopefully I won't need the sensor when installing the downpipe, but I got one if I need it.

I have dubbed today Baja Thursday! One more Baja on the road!