???Chips???

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

sykemikeg
Scoobytruck Contributer

???Chips???

Post by sykemikeg »

Has anybody use the innovation 35 horsepower increase and fuel saver chip. I just purchased one for my 2005 Baja nonturbo 5mt trans

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: ???Chips???

Post by anarchy1024 »

I haven't used it, but looking at how similar chips are wired, it doesn't look like a good thing. It seems the cheap ones simply splice a resistor into a sensor wire, causing the ECU to think it's running leaner/richer/cooler/hotter/etc. than it really is. Therefore, your engine will be running out of spec, even if it is slight.

I get the feeling that the positive reviews are the result of a placebo effect (assuming they're not out-right lies).

There are proper piggyback systems that can give real gains, but they're more expensive, complicated, require specialized tuning, and tap into more inputs/outputs than these "performance chips" allowing them to get a complete view of the engine's performance and status.

Personally, I would never install a 10-minute performance chip in any car I actually care about, let alone pay real money to get it.
Last edited by anarchy1024 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

Please let us know your results: horsepower gains, gas mileage improvement, and whether you've experienced all the benefits the manufacturer has claimed.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Never ever in a million years are you going to make any meaningful HP with those add on crap boxes. To make 35HP more on the non turbo engine you are looking at upping the compression, aggressive cam grind, porting, and better valve springs to get a higher redline, and proper stand alone engine management. The only bolt-on mod that will add real HP to the naturally aspirated is a turbo or supercharger with a proper ECU. When I had my non turbo Baja the plan from the beginning was to swap in the H6 from the Tribeca, truck got totalled before I could do that and I ended up going turbo and made power that way. To up your HP your looking at engine swap or forced induction on your existing motor.