CV axles for turbo 5-speed?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

polypolyman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by polypolyman »

Hello,

When I bought my Baja (turbo 5-speed), I was told one of the front axle CV boots was torn. Sure enough, and I let it go until I couldn't stand it anymore, then replaced it. When I took it out, the inner CV joint was completely destroyed, so the axle came out in 3 pieces (inner end, outer with shaft, and a totally separated plastic piece from the innards of the split joint). Needless to say, I was getting wobbles from this.

Problem 1: Pep Boys sold me a "confirmed fit" axle with a female inner end. Back it goes.

Advance Auto sold me what seemed like the proper fit at the time, and using their online lookup, it is Carquest model NCV66503.

Problem 2: About a month or two down the line, the boot is split again, and I'm starting to get the same wobbles. Confirmed no issues with alignment or wheel balance.

So, now I'm starting to do some more research. My favorite tool has been parts.subaru.com for tracing out other weird compatibility issues. I've found that subaru part number 28321AE063 is correct for my car. And that it is not compatible with ANY other car (no legacy, no forester XT, not even any of the other Bajas - these ALL have different part numbers).

So, for about $350 I can get this axle. Yikes, considering I'm used to spending just under $100 on axles.

The plot thickens, though, when I start doing aftermarket lookups. First off, I've learned to just ignore most of them - plenty of sites say they have a compatible part, and haven't asked me what engine or transmission (or both) I have. Asking the makers directly seems to be a plan.. except that the one manufacturer that will even admit that this car exists, Cardone, claims that the part number for this car is "REBUILD AND REPLACE"

Ugh.

I found a post from this forum on the matter, which suggests that Forester XT axles will work. However, Subaru lists a completely different part number, 28321SA033 or SA051. The other useful hint from that thread is that O'Reilly might be able to help - a lookup online has NO listings for a 2005 Baja Turbo at all - even for the automatic.

So, can someone explain to me the difference between the FXT part and the Baja Turbo MT part? Am I chasing a rabbit-hole that is caused by a different problem? Or am I stuck paying an obnoxious amount for an axle just to know it'll work?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: CV axles for turbo 5-speed?

Post by Guacamole »

Most after-market axles are not compatible with Bajas. You either have to go OEM from a real Subaru dealer or absolutely confirm that the part you're buying is a fit. See Acro2Pilot's post on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2973&hilit=baja+raptor+2.0&start=15 (4th post from the bottom of the page).
polypolyman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by polypolyman »

Man, you had me all excited that he had actually found an axle that was a confirmed fit... but then I noticed he was AT, which is relatively easy to find.

I'm pretty convinced now that Subaru is the only supplier of axles for the Baja Turbo 5MT. Thanks for the tip on that thread, though - I still may call that company and try one last ditch effort to get that part.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Per several threads on NASIOC, the Baja shares the same axles as the Forester XT (auto and 5MT).
~Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way!~
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But the Service Manual shows that the axles are only different Turbo versus Non-Turbo. Meaning Turbo 5MT and Auto are the same. And conversely the Non-Turbo 5MT and Auto are the same. The Non-Turbos have the spring pin at the tranny end and are female, whereas the Turbos do not have the spring pin and are male.

Caveat: my Service Manual is for 2005. So this should be true for 2004-2006 models. And from what I see, the 2003 did not offer the Turbo so all 2003 are the same as 2004-2006 Non-Turbos.
~Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way!~
Alcyonex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Alcyonex »

Buy these: Image

I got them for my '06 Baja Turbo bc of an excessive shake when on the throttle. Totally fixed it. Fits perfect and strong as hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
deuter
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by deuter »

Hi All,

I just wanted to input in my experience with the CV axle problems. I had similar problems with the local auto parts stores. Hopefully my post will help someone avoid the same headaches I was having. It was getting confusing with turbos vs non-turbos as well as manual vs automatic transmissions.

As others mentioned above, I used this PART #: 1AACV00109 from 1A Auto.

https://www.1aauto.com/subaru-cv-axle-s ... 649&y=2005

I used this in a 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo with Manual transmission. It fit perfectly.

Best,
Tim
Austin
Izzy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Izzy »

I know this is an old post, but I'm trying to order axles for the rear of my 2005 MT Turbo Baja ... are the rear axles the same for AT and MT? All I'm finding online are rear axles that specify they are for Turbo AT Baja. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
-Izzy
polypolyman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by polypolyman »

According to Subaru Parts, the rear axles for a 2005 Baja Turbo 5MT also match the 2004 and 2005 Baja turbo for both 5MT and AT, as well as any 2003/2004 Legacy AT.

Source: https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_ ... AE10A.html
(and similar for left rear)