New Baja owner with a list of questions

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

New Baja owner with a list of questions

Post by Bobsagator »

So I am a new convert from Honda to Subaru, picking up a 2004 Baja Manual Turbo. Being a Subaru I thought there would be a wealth of info, but coming to realize the Baja is not the "typical" Subaru. So I have come up with this list of questions:
1. Where can you find a service manual? The only one I have found is on ebay for $400. Should I just get an online version? if so, where is a reputable place to get one?
2. The front inner CV boots are busted, both sides. No clicking or clunking yet when doing donuts, so hopefully still just a boot issue. I have read the issues with incorrect axles at Advance/Pep Boys/etc. And have also read that their boots are for aftermarket axles and may not fit OEM correctly, is this right? The inner cv joints have a part number on them of 3H04F driver and 3D032 passenger, which don't look like any OEM part number and a yahoo search gave nothing. The boots have H48-10010 around the large side rim. Should I just go OEM boots (28023AA011)?
3. Is there a schematic of the exhaust somewhere? I'm totally confused with the uppipe, downpipe, precat, cat, crossover pipe... I believe I have an exhaust leak in what I believe is the cat (Part 4 of lower diagram). Are there any replacement pieces available, like does Xcceleration still make exhausts for the Baja (I only see downpipes for the Baja)?
4. Looking at doing a timing belt replacement myself. It looks like I just find a write up on NASIOC for a turbo and go with it. Is there any benefit of going with Gates kit or just go OEM parts? Any special tools I'll need? From what I've seen it looks like it should be a LOT easier than my Civic was.
5. This banjo bolt issue has me concerned. I need to find a good write up somewhere of how to clean or gut them.

I'm starting to compile a list of what parts work with the Baja. I want to get her running (change cv boots and timing belt) so she'll be my winter daily driver, then start playing with the suspension next year. I live in east TN and really enjoy the curvy roads in my Civic, and hope the Baja will be able to keep up. Any suggestions are welcomed. Also, I reserve the right to add additional questions as I get my hands dirty.
~Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way!~
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: New Baja owner with a list of questions

Post by anarchy1024 »

Hi, welcome! The Baja isn't typical for some things, particularly the rear half, but it's based on the 2000-2004 (Gen 3) Outback, so a lot of the information there applies to the Baja.

1. For the online version, I heard many people get a three-day subscription to the Subaru technician network (I forget what it's officially called), and download the complete manual to their computer.

2. The axles should be the same as the 00-04 Outback... Guess I'll find out shortly, as I need to replace one of the front inside CV joints. I just walked into an O'Reilly's and asked for the boot for a 2003 Baja, which looks like the boot I used for my 2002 Outback.

3. I usually use parts.subaru.com for schematics. http://parts.subaru.com/Subaru_2004_Baj ... oling.html I've been able to order parts through the dealer when required.

4. The timing belt is not difficult to do. The only difficulty my brother and I had was getting the crank shaft pulley bolt loose... But there are many tricks online for that, including using the starter (which I was too scared to try...). Can't speak to which kit is better. I got the Gates kit for my Outback, and it came with everything needed for the job (water pump w/ gaskets, all idlers, instructions, a guide for refitting the guard with correct spacing). I forget which kit I used for the Baja (I want to say Goodyear...), but it wasn't OEM and it's worked perfectly for the last three years. If your accessory belts are going, this would be a good time to replace them, too. This video seemed to have some good information: https://youtu.be/ddFsFfiyOvg?t=2050

5. I don't have a Turbo (boo...), so never needed to look into it.

If it's never been done, you might want to inspect/replace the PCV valve (easy on the non-turbos, not sure how hard on the turbos) and fuel filter (I think 04s are still in the engine bay), in addition to all the other regular stuff (engine oil, transmission/rear diff gear oil, air filter, spark plugs/wires).

I'm having fun on the twisty roads here in the Baja, so not sure if she'll be able to keep up with the Civic, but she should be fun either way. You might want to inspect the shocks before hitting the twisties, though... The rear shocks on mine were completely shot after 250,000km (likely a while before that) which affected handling. I should have gotten better tires, though...

Good luck!
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Done a timing belt on a Civic and on my Baja. Baja was WAY easier! Don't have to take any motor mounts off or anything! Haha
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Thanks for the responses. I guess learning the mismatch of Legacy/Outback/Forester parts is more of the charm of the Baja.

And I am so looking forward to changing the timing belt and only having to deal with the front of the engine instead of squeezing along the side as it was in the Civic.

Another question: are there any tail light options? Is there an option somehow to get amber turn signals? I believe the turn signals are currently the bottom outside, which are also the brake lights. But it looks like the top inside (on the tail gate) is just a clear blank. Can the clear blank be converted to hold an amber bulb?
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Potentially...but it's pretty slim in there. Maybe more feasible with LEDs.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Another question: is there an easy way to reset the ECU? For the Civic it was pull the ECU fuse then do the idle relearn (run warm engine unloaded for 10 minutes). I'm sure pulling the battery cable resets the ECU but then you have to reset the radio settings.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Well, I think I solved the Service Manual issue. I found manuals for the 2005 Baja Section 3 (turbo engine) and Section 6 (chassis) on eBay. Then found the 2005 Baja Section 5 (transmission) at SubaruPartsWebsite.com. Other Subaru parts sites showed it as discontinued but this one placed the order so hopefully they have it and send it to me.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Well, SubaruPartsWebsite.com came back with my order was Declined. Called the number for LoveSubaruParts.com and was told only Subaru Service Techs could order the manuals. Tried HeubergerSubaruParts.com and they said it would be shipped to me in 10 days, so I place the order online. Hopefully this one works...
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

If you're going for inspection, the ECU shows when it was reset. Usually you can't get it done for like 20 or 40 miles or something.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

First Baja maintenance day did not go quite as planned. I was bright eyed and had my boys in the garage ready to help. First item, replace the passenger side inner CV boot. Got the axle out of the inner joint and it all went downhill from there. The trunnion was stuck on the axle. No problem right. Spray spray, tap tap, spray spray, tap tap Tap, hit hit, BANG BANG! Arg, stuck on there. Finally had the revelation to jimmy up a gear puller and finally got it off. So 10 minutes into this I lost my 7 year old to the air conditioning and computer, at least my 12 year old was hanging in there. Until while tightening the driver side boot clamp the channel-locks slipped and grazed his forehead. So now it's solo time.

I have changed oil probably hundreds of times, but never had quite the experience of oil going everywhere like under the Baja. Luckily I had a large piece of cardboard under the catch pan that somehow contained the gushing drips from 4 different places. And then the filter still poured out oil too. Not too much fun.

Next came spark plugs. Super easy on the Civic, not so much on the Baja. Now I am no expert, but I am pretty sure the plugs shouldn't look like this:
Both of the driver side plugs broke the ceramic trying to remove them. Of course these were the first attempts. So the blind try to get the socket on the plug while removing pieces of ceramic was painful. Hopefully I got all the ceramic pieces out and then got the plugs out too. Whodathunk that wasn't the hard part. How in the world do you contort your hand holding the plug into the hole and get the plug to start threading on? Sadly, I am about 85% sure that I cross threaded the driver front plug. But I would get it started and take a couple of turns then remove it. The threads didn't look bad but it was hard to install the entire way. The others went in much easier. Put her back together with a new air filter and we are ready to go back to the cv boot.

Since the trunnion wouldn't come off easily, why would anyone think it would go back on easy? My only recourse was the big rubber hammer. Hit it on a bit, pull it off with the gear puller, hit it on farther, pull it off. Finally I was done and just got the steel hammer and tapped around the edges to get it on. Put the little wheels back on the trunnion and ready to close her up. For some reason the axle doesn't want to go back into the inner joint. Spin the wheel/axle and found a sweet spot and she slid in. Boot on, knuckles back, wheels ready to go on, and ready to hear her purr.

Start her up and she is running rough. Engine shaking and a CEL comes on. Turn her off and think. Yeah, I forgot to plug in the passenger side coil packs since I was too obsessed with that weird bracket that attaches to the rear pack. Unplug battery, air box off, plugs in, air box back in. Starts up and just purrs. Very nice!

Now that its about 3am, how about a quick spin down the road. Start to back out of the garage and there's a little grinding noise and I can't back up the hill of the driveway. Hmmm. Well, turns out the angry BANG BANG on the trunnion must have pulled the axle out of the outer joint. I pulled the boot off last night and the innards of the joint are at about a 45degree angle and the axle is not attached. So my $30 cv boot replacement just turned into a couple hundred buck drive shaft replacement. Yay me!

So I think it is fair to say my love affair with the Baja is not starting out quite as I had hoped. Once I get the drive shaft replaced, actually driving her better quickly make these sore hands fade away. I still have to replace the rear differential fluid and order some Redline for the tranny, then start getting ready for the timing belt replacement. I still have hope she will be my new love...
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Wow, quite a story. Were the plugs already damaged, or did the socket do that? I thought all spark plug sockets have rubber with a small hole at the top of the socket to prevent damage when removing and hold the plug while inserting. I just did mine, and with the air intake and washer bottle removed, it wasn't bad. I did have to use a bunch of adapters and small extensions because I didn't have a single extension that was long enough.

For replacing the inner CV boot, I followed this video: https://youtu.be/bf8uRTjfxsk?t=465 . The most annoying part was simply tightening the boot clamps, but everything else was easy enough. Definitely no banging required.

But, it is true that maintenance, at least for me, rarely ever goes as planned. Usually ends up taking 5x longer to do something because one nut is seized or one bolt is inaccessible...
jp233
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jp233 »

I've had Subaru's for 30 years and have never myself just replaced/repacked, or otherwise "repaired" a CV joint or even a boot. It is so much easier to just replace the whole axle, and they are quick to do. Yes I've used the $65 parts store axles, and had mixed luck. Buying a Subaru OEM axle is great or a quality reman like one that used to be done out of Colorado (MRE? CCRE?). Anyways, sometimes the splines can be finicky, they just need to be CLEAN and you can lightly lube them too.

Let me guess, the inner CV boot that was broken open was the one right by the exhaust? It's too common. Generally, there is no need to worry on those. they take so much less strain than the ones out at the wheel hubs, much less articulation. They just fling grease all over the place once they rip open. Brake cleaner fixes that quick. In short, I never worry about a ripped inner CV boot, but a clicking outer CV warrants an axle replacement.

As for a service manual, I got one from RapidManuals.com just the other day -- all PDF, for $15. It also included every Baja owners manual from each year 2003-2006, and a bunch of other stuff. Sadly, the manual is not one big clickable PDF (like my 2012 Outback one is), it is all segmented into sections, in a folder tree. Oh well, the price was right.

Spark plugs on a Turbo 2.5 Subaru is just simply a pain. There is little way around it. Small angles, small areas, just have to piece together the right tools. Yes, you certainly need a spark plug socket with the rubber/soft insert to prevent breakage like that.

Banjo bolts -- yes remove them NOW and remove the filters. You can get new bolts, too, if you want. Don't forget to get them all. 2 on the drivers head, 2 on the passenger, going to the turbo - remove all banjo filters. There are lots of write-ups and pictures on many other forums (LegacyGT.com , NASIOC, etc). The idea and location is the same on a Baja as any EJ255, EJ257, etc... all 2.5 turbo.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Okay, replace the drive shaft...easy money. Except for the axle is seized in the hub. Won't bang out, won't budge. After about a week and a half on the 12 ton press with no luck, I conceded defeat and picked up a spindle from the junk yard today. Popped out the busted ball joint, replaced the bent heat shield, and put her all back together with the new drive shaft. Finally got to take her for a spin and really enjoyed it.

I still have to replace the tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, PCV, and get to those banjo bolts. I ordered new washers just in case and will attack these when they come, since it looks like I can't get to the tranny dip stick without removing the intercooler. As of now, a bit more happy.

I did check the oil (was changed when this project started) and she was a quart low. Little concerning but she hasn't run any and there are no puddles under her.

I guess its time to start looking for a downpipe...
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

The Invidia downpipe will fit, if your truck is not lifted you will likely need to pull the passenger side corner brace. The downpipe is a big bump in performance for the cost and effort of install. While your doing all that banjo bolt work, one thing I would strongly suggest is getting the AN hose kit to replace the turbo and AVCS hardline which is prone to breaking.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Hmm, I haven't heard of the AN hose kit. Do you have a link?

Also, I have a disappearing-reappearing-disappearing oil trick going on. As above, I checked the oil after a change and the dipstick was reading a quart low so I added a quart. After driving around town the car smelled hot so I checked the oil and it was overfilled. So last night I drained a quart out of the pan and rechecked the dipstick to find it not registering on the stick at all. I know I put in around 4 quarts originally, added the last quart of the 5 quart jug, then removed about a quart, so there is (ideally) 4 quarts in there. Why is it not registering on the dipstick?