New Baja owner with a list of questions

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Re: New Baja owner with a list of questions

Post by Acro2pilot »

http://www.iagperformance.com/IAG-OEM-L ... g-2070.htm

The truck, including the engine is very solid and jaw dropping in performance capability, faults are few and cheap to fix. The two I always suggest are that oil line kit and the wet loop hose for the PCV system that is buried under the manifold. It is a rubber hose that hardens over 12 years and splits. Replace that too. But compared to the Porsche intermediate shaft failures in an engine that produces the same HP for 3x the cost, we get off cheap.
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Acro, thanks for the link. Nice site, wish they had a Baja tab... I know it's a hodge podge of FXT, STI, and Legacy pieces but it still would be nice to be recognized.

Anybody have any idea about the oil? I've been driving to work the past couple of days and just reading a little at the end of the dipstick is getting concerning. Could it be a wrong dipstick?
~Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way!~

Post by Guest »

I've notice it says to add 4 liters or 4.25qt I found this isn't ever enough idk who wrote this in the manual but they are wrong ... it takes 5 qts and it is perfect ..
I know I leak and I burn oil but not a quart 10 secs after oil change lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
tonys123
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by tonys123 »

I've notice it says to add 4 liters or 4.25qt I found this isn't ever enough idk who wrote this in the manual but they are wrong ... it takes 5 qts and it is perfect ..
I know I leak and I burn oil but not a quart 10 secs after oil change lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Bobsagator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bobsagator »

Hey Acro, a couple of questions about the IAG oil line kit:
1. Which style layout is the Baja (A, B, or C per the installation instructions)? To me it looks like it is probably B.
2. I assume you reuse the original banjo bolts (with the screens removed) and don't need to purchase their bolts.
3. There is a review on the IAG site about a Baja and having to remove the up pipe to get the hard line out. Is this true? Or do you just abandon the hard line where it is?
4. Does the new braided line attach to anything or just hang in place?
5. It looks like this kit is only for the passenger side. Is there a concern for the drivers side AVCS line?
6. It looks like the turbo bracket will have to be eliminated for the vertical portion of the kit, correct?
~Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way!~
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

1. Mine was style A, I have a 2004
2. Correct
3. You could abandon, or remove the intake manifold, or do what I did and exploit the reason we are changing the line out. When you flex metal enough it work hardens and then breaks, you can get that last bit out that runs under the manifold with allot of subtle twisting and working it till the tab breaks.
4. I used some double zip ties as an anchor and standoff on a few locations, just to make it neat.
5. The drivers side AVCS has not been a problem, just the solver solder turbo fitting and that part of the line breaking.
6. My turbo bracket was fine.

The worst part of any of this, is getting that T fitting in place and the washers in place and the bolt in, took me dozens of attempts and some sticky grease to help hold stuff.