STI Brake Booster?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

STI Brake Booster?

Post by anarchy1024 »

Hi,

I've been thinking about swapping in an STI brake booster/master cylinder into my 2003 Baja, but can't find much clear information about what would be a drop-in replacement. It seems like the 2004-2007 BB/MC would be the best bet, but is there a better option, or combination of options (like an 08 booster with an 03 cylinder)? Most of the info available seems to be for the Forester.

Also, looking at Amazon's list of compatible parts (I know not 100% accurate), Cardone booster 53-2778 is compatible with the 03 Baja, 53-2782 is for the 03 Forester, but both of those parts are listed for the 2007 Impreza... any idea what the difference is between these two parts? (Not planning to buy this specific part; just using to determine which cars have compatible parts.)

Thanks!
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Re: STI Brake Booster?

Post by Acro2pilot »

Interesting thought, I had never thought of swapping out the brake booster. I had an 04 STi back when it was new, and of course now have the Baja turbo, but I can't recall if there is a difference. Did you have any details that it is a better unit?
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I don't really have any evidence or specifics... just posts in threads:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... 81067.html
I'm sure most LGT owners feel that their brake pedal is subpar and inadequate compared to other cars they've driven...swine and many others who's done the STI brake master cyl. + brake booster swap can confirm that doing this mod is single-handedly the most effective way to get a firm and confidence inspiring braking feel like that of an STI.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... -do-54112/
So, I bit the bullet and swapped in an '05 STi booster I bought off NASIOC. Holy mother of crap! Night and day... If you drive hard or you've done a brake swap, you must to do this. Some people say that it doesn't do anything for performance, only pedal feel. Well, they haven't had their setup hit the floor then.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

That's a pretty good endorsement to prompt looking into it. I'll be following this with interest. Having already done the STi Brembo swap this might be another real step up.