Shift Noise?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Shift Noise?

Post by Anomaly »

My '03, is giving me kind of a "clank" noise with the very first shift out of park. It does not happen every single time, nor do I hear it after the very first shift from park, although I do hear it (slightly) again if I shift in a hurry from drive to reverse or vice-versa (like when making a quick u-turn on a busy street). It sounds almost like something may be loose or worn and just "clanks" with the initial movement of the parts. It shifts fine and quietly while driving. It doesn't sound like something inside the transmission as it's loud and clear. I thought it may be a CV joint, but a couple of friends who heard it says it doesn't sound like that. Any ideas? Is this common on the '03 (automatic)? Could it be a sticking brake pad (I need a brake job)?

Thanks in advance.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Shift Noise?

Post by Guacamole »

My 06 auto seems to clank/clunk if I don't have the brake pressed far enough when shifting. I'm trying to condition myself to nearly floor the brake when shifting, & release the brake only after the trans has engaged the gear (i.e. press brake, hear park release click, press further, shift to drive, wait for the trans to shift, then release brake). Take about 2-3 seconds to complete. Maybe it's the same issue?