Excessive OIL LEAK on just rebuilt EZ30d

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

5050GRIP
Scoobytruck Contributer

Excessive OIL LEAK on just rebuilt EZ30d

Post by 5050GRIP »

I did a partial rebuild on my 2001 ez30d motor that I just transplanted in my 03 Baja, the oil leak seems to be coming from just between the head block and the chain cover vicnity, its leaking and mixing with anti freeze into a brown color that is pouring out the side of the motor only when the engine is running.
I changed the head gaskets with Felpro MLS, followed all the proper torque seq, with new head bolts, changed water pump with OEM and all oem bolts and gaskets, changed all the chain cover O rings, chain guides, re-seated the valves, new valve seals cleaned the valves as well and resurfaced the heads with block sanding down to 1500 grit, head was not warped.

Its driving me nuts, I took the entire chain cover off and sealed it over again, over torqued the head bolts out of desperation but IT STILL LEAKS at the top of the head near the driver side chain guide adjuster, between the chain guide cover and block. I am at wits ends, some one PLEASE HELP?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Excessive OIL LEAK on just rebuilt EZ30d

Post by Guacamole »

I did a little digging & found an Amazon review from a guy who says he did a head gasket repair on a 2.5L. Suggests the Felpro gaskets don't have the correct surface or something to correctly seal. I'm not an engine expert so unfortunately this is about all I can do. :(

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-Hs26170Pt ... geNumber=1

EDIT: I've looked on some other forums & it seems that there's part of the Subie community that suggests Felpro has a reputation of head gaskets not properly sealing, with others suggesting Felpro are superior to OEM. People also note that the parts have been from different manufacturers while ordering the same gasket package.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

I've never seen a case where Fel-Pro was superior to OEM except maybe my 1970 Beetle.

Never over tighten bolts in an effort to stop a leak, you can actually make it worse by warping whatever you have torqued down. Speaking of warpage, did you check the head and block surfaces for warpage?

It's not just the gasket surface but the head and block surface prep. Generally, MLS gaskets need a near perfect finish, not just a clean it up at home finish.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
5050GRIP
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 5050GRIP »

Thanks for the replies guys,
I found and fixed the problem.
The problem, subconsciously I knew, was the improper installation of the second head gasket, the head gasket was turned the wrong way round. In an incoherent state, about 4-5am in the morning with 36hrs of no sleep, I installed the Felpro headgasket on the wrong way thus causing a gaping passage for the oil and anti freeze to mix freely.
Bought another gasket and installed it, but not before I took the front of the motor off an extra 2 times thinking it may be the o rings, warped head. flushing was the hardest part of the job. many many gallons of water mixed detergent and 505 cleaner through cooling system in addition to priming and changing the oil several times, I now run Full synthetic STP 5-30.
Lesson boys and girls; do not push yourself to wee hours of the morning with technical stuff, it only cost you more time fixing what you flopped up.