Timing belt service

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

asherjimmy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Timing belt service

Post by asherjimmy »

Hi, I'm new; I recently got an '06 NA auto with 88K. It now has 90K on it, and I am going to get the timing belt service done. My local Subaru dealership doesn't recommend doing the water pump. The service guy said they never really see them fail and there isn't a need. Kind of an "if isn't broke don't fix it" approach. A local independent mechanic with a good reputation suggests doing the water pump. Any thoughts? Pros or Cons? I searched but didn't find much related to this specific issue.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Timing belt service

Post by Guacamole »

Generally it's easier to just get the water pump done while doing a timing belt job because all the parts are exposed & it's a quick replacement while the timing belt assembly is off. It's true, they don't fail often but while you're in there you might as well do it but if the water pump fails after the timing belt fix you pretty much have to go through the entire timing belt procedure to install a new one. Basically, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

This might be helpful:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109 ... p-too.html
The gen-3 outback & the baja engine timing assemblies are basically the same.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I did the water pump when I did my timing belt because:
1. I've frequently heard that after the timing belt is done, if the water pump isn't done at the same time, it'll start leaking shortly afterwards. Something about the change in tension between the old and new belt causing the seal the deform? No idea how true that is... But I drove a reefer truck with a small diesel engine that had a belt that drove the water pump replaced, and the water pump started leaking within two or three weeks. Coincidence?
2. There isn't much additional labour involved in replacing it, because it's easily accessible once the timing belt is off.
3. The part was less than $150CAD (I think...), and there was a package special that included the pump with the timing belt set, at the parts store.

So, I guess it's your call, but if the cost isn't prohibitive, I'd probably do it.
Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Anomaly »

Hmmm... 90,000?

While it's all apart, have them do the head gasket as well. There's a decent chance it'll go in another 30,000 or so. Mine is on it's way out but our mechanic suggested we wait until it's closer to the time to do the timing belt (it's a very small leak right now). Both our '03 Forester and now the '03 Baja's head gaskets went/started going between 120-130,000 miles, which is very common. I'm not being sarcastic, just sayin' might as well do it all in one fell swoop.
asherjimmy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by asherjimmy »

It seems like most do the water pump. I think I'll see how much the head gasket tacks on and go from there. Thanks for the input everyone!
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Did the water pump when I did my timing belt at 105k. Its like right there. Might as well. The whole job is just an afternoon even if you don't have much experience. A torque wrench is recommended, you need a special tool for the crank shaft, and its helpful to have a second hand.

My guess is the head gaskets are going to be significantly more $$ beyond the timing belt cost.
mark40
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mark40 »

Head gasket and timing belt were done a six months ago on my 06' NA.
My Subaru shop did not replace the water pump.
I kind of expected it to be done, because it seems almost customary regardless of auto brand.
The shop said we did not need to.
Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Anomaly »

mark40 wrote:Head gasket and timing belt were done a six months ago on my 06' NA.
My Subaru shop did not replace the water pump.
I kind of expected it to be done, because it seems almost customary regardless of auto brand.
The shop said we did not need to.
When our shop did our Forester's head gasket, they did the belt and water pump as a standard part of the service. When I talked to them about doing the Baja, they suggested waiting a while longer until it's closer to the time when the timing belt is due and the water pump will (again) be part of the standard job. Like you said, it's customary. I find it strange your shop didn't do it.

I suggested the OP get the head gasket done at the same time because it more than likely will need replacement in 30,000 or so, and doing it now will kill two birds with one stone and knock down the cost of having them done separately.