Motor swap

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

baybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Motor swap

Post by baybaja »

Takes on either finding another motor or upgrading to sti motor? Also what do you think it would cost?
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Motor swap

Post by Acro2pilot »

What's wrong with this one? Reason I ask it because it can drive your options. Lets say you threw a rod but heads are in great shape, get an STi shortblock and your in business for very little expense. There are other options depending on other cases. If you can tell me what the problem is I can give some options.
baybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baybaja »

1 she has a lot of miles and I really wanna keep my baja as long as I can. 2 she has the misfire issue and if I can't fix that myself I'd rather just throw a new motor in there. And so far with the misfiring issue it doesn't seem to be an ignition problem, so will be checking compression and fuel delivery soon.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Did you ever resolve the overcooling?
Was the oil you found on plug 4 on the cylinder side or outside of the plug?
Did you ever replace the coilpacks or coilpack boots (the part between the coil and plug)
Did you ever figure out if an injector was leaking with the engine off?

You haven't followed up with results on any of those other threads as far as I can tell.

Any motor you put in will be used and may or may not have a bucketload of issues itself, plus swap issues, and that's assuming that the missfire is fixed by a hardware swap. Any upgrade motor will have all that PLUS the difficulty of conversion.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
baybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baybaja »

I've swapped packs to isolate if packs were part of the cause. No they were not, still only cylinder 4 misfire. Oil was on cylinder side of plug. Not good sign. Injectors sound good with use of stethoscope. Have yet to perform compression check. Have not figured out the temp gauge issue yet. Don't wanna let go of my baja.. wanna keep her forever!