Has anybody tried PermaTech for head gasket leak

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Baja Buzz
Scoobytruck Lurker

Has anybody tried PermaTech for head gasket leak

Post by Baja Buzz »

My 2003 is at the stage where the leak is external and has that burnt oil smell. I saw where PermaTech web site is advertising a $170 kit made for
Subaru head gasket leaks. Would like to know if anyone else has tried it before I spring for that much. Still a lot less than $2-3k though.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Has anybody tried PermaTech for head gasket leak

Post by kamesama980 »

I haven't shopped around but $2-3k seems high for head gaskets. As for the sealer, it depends on the specific head gasket leak and severity. If it's something you dump in the coolant, I imagine it won't do a darn thing for your oil leaks. I'd imagine it works like a $170 band-aid on a $3000 broken arm. Make sure you read the fine print on their money-back guarantee.

I'm not having much luck finding a permatech company that does engine sealers, could you provide a link? Nevermind, I found it. They don't have a company website, just a big colorful carnival sign for their products (http://www.oilstopleak.com/, http://headgasketsealers.com/) full of promotions for their magic potions.

Something about budgeting for cost-of-ownership...
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Has anybody tried PermaTech for head gasket leak

Post by Anomaly »

I was just informed by my mechanic yesterday that the burned oil smell I'm getting is my head gasket too. I asked him if any of those treatments are worth giving a shot and he told me they don't really work and they cause other issues to boot. He didn't go into what the other issues are, but it's what I had heard already and it makes sense. He also told me that they only "could" work if the leak is located so that it would be an anti-freeze odor (that's what we smelled with my Wife's Forester). Luckily my leak is extremely small and the only reason I'm smelling anything is because the leak is going directly onto the exhaust. My Baja is at around 126,000, so he told me to milk this head gasket for another 50,000 or so. That way, it's pretty much time to do the timing belt and a couple of other things as well. Anyway, my advice is, if it's not that bad, don't rush to fix it, especially if you don't have the extra few grand to spare. Luckily our mechanic knows us and we have credit with him. But what I'm gonna do is put a couple hundred aside every month, then go to him when the car's at 280,000 or so.