Ran out of fuel at 12 gallons

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

DougBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Ran out of fuel at 12 gallons

Post by DougBaja »

Howdy, I just got an 05 Turbo Auto with 120k miles (old 05 was totaled in a wreck ... Sad). The new one just had the 30k service. I ran out of gas just after the fuel light went on. Filled up with only ~12 gallons. Anyone have any ideas? Via Google, I have found things like fuel sensors and pumps. My guess is a sensor. Regards, Doug
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Ran out of fuel at 12 gallons

Post by kamesama980 »

The first thing that comes to mind is a dent in the tank or something (solid) other than fuel taking up space in the tank. It should have ~18gal capacity and you ought to use darn near all of it if you ran out of fuel.

The Second thing that comes to mind is if the entire fuel assembly is bent (or wrong) causing both the sender and pump to operate higher within the tank leaving the lower 6gal unusable.

Thirdly: maybe someone swapped fuel tanks (smaller tank or mismatched pump/tank). This one's really reaching but fits the symptoms.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Ran out of fuel at 12 gallons

Post by bajaguy »

If you're on a hill that could affect it and I've had pumps act up on random. One pumped so fast it shut off ever gallon and I had to put it on the slower setting for it not to kill itself.