Brakes

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Brakes

Post by Anomaly »

anarchy1024 wrote:
Guacamole wrote: Well Amazon screwed up my order for the rotors & says that they'll be shipped out 1 month from now with 2-day shipping even though everything was in stock?? :shock: So I'm putting to bed this monster & am just going to bite the bullet & do it at the dealership. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Aww.... that's disappointing. Hopefully they did a good job, or at least have a lifetime warranty. The set that Anomaly mentioned seems alright, although I personally wouldn't go for the drilled rotors. Besides not making any performance difference (according to everything I read), it's just not my style.
Yeah, they're probably not the best brakes, but at $200 for the four rotors with ceramic pads plus some good reviews, I figured why not? Besides, I love the drilled slotted look even if there's no performance advantage, especially considering that I'm running aftermarket wheels which really show the brake hardware.

The funny part is that I haven't actually installed them yet!!!
:lol: :shock: :oops:
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Anomaly wrote:Yeah, they're probably not the best brakes, but at $200 for the four rotors with ceramic pads plus some good reviews, I figured why not? Besides, I love the drilled slotted look even if there's no performance advantage, especially considering that I'm running aftermarket wheels which really show the brake hardware.

Well, I guess that's the other side of the DIY argument: it might be difficult to find a moment when you have time, are in the mood, and have the energy to do the work. And when you can afford getting your hands (or more) dirty. The only thing that's really annoying about DIY jobs is trying to loosen stuck nuts/bolts, especially on a Canadian car that's spent a lot of its life on salted roads. This past weekend I needed to cut a hole in the floor of the passenger footwell just to access a nut for the transmission crossmember that broke loose....... I didn't have any issues when doing my brakes, though.
Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Anomaly »

anarchy1024 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:Yeah, they're probably not the best brakes, but at $200 for the four rotors with ceramic pads plus some good reviews, I figured why not? Besides, I love the drilled slotted look even if there's no performance advantage, especially considering that I'm running aftermarket wheels which really show the brake hardware.

Well, I guess that's the other side of the DIY argument: it might be difficult to find a moment when you have time, are in the mood, and have the energy to do the work. And when you can afford getting your hands (or more) dirty. The only thing that's really annoying about DIY jobs is trying to loosen stuck nuts/bolts, especially on a Canadian car that's spent a lot of its life on salted roads. This past weekend I needed to cut a hole in the floor of the passenger footwell just to access a nut for the transmission crossmember that broke loose....... I didn't have any issues when doing my brakes, though.
I'm not much of a mechanic. I love cars, but what I'm good at (my actual hobby) is home theater. I've got a lot of mechanic friends... They do simple backyard jobs on our cars (oil changes, brakes, hoses, etc) and I install their home A/V gear. Anyway, the brakes should be installed in the next week or so.