aftermarket headlight problems

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

pammiesuesguy
Scoobytruck Lurker

aftermarket headlight problems

Post by pammiesuesguy »

The original lens were foggy and cleaning only lasted a short time so I bought a set of aftermarket lens and installed them. The first problem was the left headlight bulb quit after a week. I pulled the rear cap to access the bulb and found the black wire was melted about an inch from the connector due to a loose fit. Luckily I kept my original cap and wiring and that took care of the problem.
Then about two months later I went to hook up my trailer in the dark and discovered no tailights on the car even before hooking up the trailer. Two blown fuses, one under the dash for tailights and one under the hood for the park lights.
So I figered trailer connector and had to pull the plastic bed floor (quite a job) just to discover no problem. Then I pulled both headlight assemblies and removed all the bulbs but one to test for shorts. Still had a dead short.
Went to the right kick panel and disconnected the harness to the rear. Still had the dead short. Put that back together thinking maybe the relay was shorted. It's under the dash beside the fuse panel where you can see it but not touch it, and no info as to which relay it actually is.
Next dropped the steering column covers to isolate the park and headlight switches. No problem with either, still blows fuse even disconnected when jumping the harness.
OK now I know the short is somewhere in the front so I lift the car and clip the wire to the right parklight in the harness under the radiator.
Now I know the short is at the left parklight which I had left the bulb in for my test. Unplug the harness to the bulb and no more short.
The aftermarket socket was shorted internally even though it looked fine it would blow the fuse even with no bulb in it.
I have been driving all this time with no tailights and did not even know it.
I guess original Subaru parts would have saved me two days of troubleshooting tearing my car apart for no reason other than saving a few bucks on a cheaper part.
I have found my dealer will match the price from a cheaper Subaru supplier as long as I print out what I need from another Subaru dealer.
Rich
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: aftermarket headlight problems

Post by Guacamole »

Man that sucks! What were you using to clean the original lenses with? I used toothpaste & some off-brand auto glass cleaner on my headlights 6 months ago & they haven't needed a cleaning since.
pammiesuesguy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by pammiesuesguy »

I first used a headlight cleaning kit from a parts store. It worked OK for a while but was nnot long lasting. My wife then tried the toothpast and later I tried a mild rubbing compound. A few months is all I could get from any of them. The replacement lenses are clear like when the car was new so far. If I was to do it over I would transfer the original wiring and sockets from the old lenses into the aftermarket ones before installing them. I live in 4 season country, teens overnite in the winter and 95 plus all summer, this might help cause the fogging?

Rich
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

The yellowing is from the UV rays. I got some vinyl lens protectors/rock shields for mine, basically heavy duty screen protectors. They were pricey but mine have stayed nice and clear for the last 3 years. The 3m restoration kit works wonders but it's a yearly process since it doesn't protect against UV rays. If you're talking abut humidity inside, take some of those celica packets found in shoe boxes and drop a couple inside for a few days to dehumidify.
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

I used "Wipe New" cleaner to de-haze mine, and applied the kit's UV protectant to keep them clean. Worked for about a couple of months. For my second try, I used the "Wipe New" cleaner, but used Turtle Wax's "Ice Wax" as a preservative. It's kept the lenses crystal clear for about 8 months now.
RedStage
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RedStage »

got some aftermarket headlights on my 03...highly recommend swapping (if you have them) or buying factory bulb sockets....had one go out and it took my brake lights out. Almost got a ticket (this is how I founf out that I had a brake light issue).

Swapped all the sockets out from my oem lights..no problems since.