hot start issue

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

baybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

hot start issue

Post by baybaja »

Hey everyone I have a 06 baja turbo and when I take a trip down to the grocery store or somewhere not too far, my baja tends to crank longer than usual when I get back in and start it up. It's not a weak crank. Just takes more cranks than usual to start up. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: hot start issue

Post by anarchy1024 »

Probably the cheapest/easiest maintenance-related things that might affect it are fuel filter, spark plugs/wires, air filter... If those haven't been done in a while, I'd probably start there. I haven't personally had that problem, though.
baybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baybaja »

Thanks for the reply. I've changed spark plugs (such a pain btw) and airfilter. Will try fuel filter next.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

When the plugs were changed, did you check the gap to make sure's it's according to the MFR spec? They should be, but sometimes the plugs get bounced around during shipping, and the ground electrode gets bent.
baybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baybaja »

Yes i did check the gap of the spark plugs before installation.
pammiesuesguy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by pammiesuesguy »

I couldn't find a fuel filter for my 06 turbo, called the dealer and was told they don't have an inline filter like the non turbo cars! Just the pickup filter in the tank, First time I have ever run across this answer.
Rich
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Don't know if you've solved your issue, but I was listening to a car talk Q&A session at work & someone has your same problem- Subi starts fine when the engine is cold but cranks longer when it's hot. The mechanic recommends checking to see if the fuel injectors are leaking anywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHL8EF5A7pE skip to 29:18.
baybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baybaja »

Thanks will take a look