Chalky White Stuff on Coolant Reservoir Hose

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Chalky White Stuff on Coolant Reservoir Hose

Post by Guacamole »

So I've noticed today after getting my Baja back from the local stealership after some maintenance that my coolant level is a bit lower (but still above full) than it was a few months ago, & there's a white-chalky residue on the coolant reservoir hose in droplet marks. I've done some research on this but can't really seem to come up with a definite answer (possibilities range from head gasket failure to simple silicate formation from the coolant evaporating). There's no signs of head gasket failure (the smell, the milky oil, etc.) & overall the coolant in the reservoir has gone down about a pint in 4 months.
Any suggestions & is this something I should worry about? Thanks.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Chalky White Stuff on Coolant Reservoir Hose

Post by anarchy1024 »

First guess would be leaks... do you notice any leaks around the hose connections? Or any residue on the underside engine cover? I remember some coolant residue on the hoses that go from the radiator to the engine, but no idea if that was caused by spillage from refilling or something else. I just cleaned it off and tightened the hose clamps, and haven't noticed it since.

Is it possible the coolant is splashing out of the overflow reservoir?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Doesn't look like there's any leaks. I've been checking the reservoir daily, & the coolant level hasn't budged, doesn't look like there's any new spots either. It's just all on the little rubber hose inside the reservoir, not outside of it. Everywhere else looks to be chalk-clean.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Guacamole wrote:It's just all on the little rubber hose inside the reservoir, not outside of it. Everywhere else looks to be chalk-clean.
Ah okay... coolant in the reservoir splashed up onto the hose while driving, then the water evaporated, leaving the chalky stuff on the hose? Evaporated coolant seems to leave behind a whitish residue.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Well that's a load off my mind! Thanks. :D