Bed Extender Locking Options

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

rp2813
Scoobytruck Lurker

Bed Extender Locking Options

Post by rp2813 »

One of the first things I discovered about my Baja after buying it a couple of months ago is that there's no way to secure the bed extender. I realize that the Baja isn't a vehicle that's commonly seen on the roads and there's not a large market for bed extenders, but still feel it would be just my luck to one day find my extender gone because it's so easy to remove.

I'd like to be able to lock the extender in a way that would still allow it to function. I'm currently considering a keyed cable lock, like for a bicycle, that I could run through a tie-down loop and around the middle rung of the extender. It would have to be long enough to allow the extender to flip over with the cable still around it.

Is there another method I should consider? I like keeping the extender installed for corralling things I choose to toss in the bed instead of using the back seat.
mark40
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Bed Extender Locking Options

Post by mark40 »

I keep my bed extender locked with a combination cable bicycle lock. I think keyed vs combo is a personal preference but either way it is a simple, low cost and easy.
rp2813
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rp2813 »

Thanks for the reply. The cable lock struck me as the easiest solution, and at low cost. My Baja is garaged, but at least a cable lock will reduce the chances of some parking lot thief making off with it on a whim. I have a 21" cable lock but it's too short. With a longer one, I'll be in business.

I'm going with a keyed lock since I already have enough user IDs and passwords that I have to remember. :wink:
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

That's one thing that irks me about the Baja. If the gate would latch and stay locked when you lock the truck, the extender would not be removable. So why didn't they make the gate lock?!?!
Mike
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

I am working on a solonoid to lock the gate with the doors, if I can make it work I will post a guide or something
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

w.rohr wrote:I am working on a solonoid to lock the gate with the doors, if I can make it work I will post a guide or something
Interested! Perhaps you could even "sell" a kit! =)
Mike
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

mikeeitup wrote: Interested! Perhaps you could even "sell" a kit! =)
Mike
Not sure there would be much to sell, what I am working on would basically be a solenoid tapped into the rear door security and push/pull the latch on the door. Now that it is warmer I took the back off my tailgate and discovered there is not what I hopped to find so I am going to have to figure out some sort of "lock" but I have an idea. In short aside from labor all you would need is the solenoids, wire, and some metal bits you can get at a hardware store. Oh and maybe some relays
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

If you do end up with a solution, I'm sure there are lots of people who'll be interested, myself included. Thanks!
CNaylor
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by CNaylor »

I'm interested too. Please post if you solve.
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

I made some headway on this and I am hoping I can figure something out this weekend when I have more time. If it works I will post a guide... if not I will probably be drowning my tears in beer