Where to get another engine?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

OutofTime
Scoobytruck Lurker

Where to get another engine?

Post by OutofTime »

I need some suggestions please. I purchased an 03 Baja and the pistons in the engine shattered after only driving it about 3000 miles. I always checked the fluids before taking it anyplace too. I couldn't believe this happened to me idk what to do now. My question is where can I find a new engine for this car? and is there another engine that could be put in? It is a manual transmission. I live in Massachusetts I would like to bring it back to life somehow I have sunk way too much $ into this car all for nothing. It is my dream car and now I feel like it has no soul it's so sad. Any suggestions as to what I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Where to get another engine?

Post by hocrest »

http://www.car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

The interchange in their software will also pull up compatable engines from other Soobs. You can use an engine for either a MT or AT.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

What caused it? Timing belt?
OutofTime
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by OutofTime »

No they said the timing belt did not break. When I start it up it sounds like screws in a blender. the garage I towed it to in hopes of having if fixed said the motor is blown they had no explanation. I had a guy who knows subarus well take a look at it he said it sounds like the piston shattered inside. The engine is still in the car has not been removed yet. I definitely need a new engine was wondering if there is an interchangeable one I can get to put in? What other engines can be put into a baja? I've looked around only a little it seems hard to find the exact engine you know what I mean? I don't know a whole lot about engines
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

From what I understand, the 03-05 Bajas use the EJ251 SOHC engine, which is also used in the following models of the same year:
Impreza 2.5RS, 2.5TS 00-02 (US)
Impreza Outback Sport 00-02, 04 (US)
Forester 00-04 (US)
Legacy 00-01 (US, 4EAT)
Legacy 02-04 (US)
Outback 00-01 (US, 4EAT)
Outback 02-04 (US)
Baja 03-05 (US)

From doing research & talking to a few Subi techs, as long as you can find the same type of engine with the same transmission your model has, the motors are compatible. You may have to change electrical components, sensors, & computers over with the other engine but from the books it seems pretty simple.

Also, this guy did an engine swap with his 03 Classic to a WRX Turbo
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2531

Hope this helps!
OutofTime
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by OutofTime »

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. I did end up having a legacy engine put in with less mileage I picked the car up today and it runs really nice. I am so happy
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Glad to know it's good as new! Also glad to know that the engines really are compatible, takes a load off my mind! I hope it didn't cost too much. :D