Performance Chips

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

szybura
Scoobytruck Lurker

Performance Chips

Post by szybura »

I recently came across a performance chip for my Baja. This one is sold by PCD, Performance Chip Direct. It appears to attach to the IAT sensor. With the exception of an aftermarket cat back exhaust system the truck is stock. Presently rebuilding the complete engine, Bearings up, was wondering if this has been used by anyone out there? Compares them to the J-V Chips.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Performance Chips

Post by Hawk296 »

I would recommend not wasting your money. you will have more problems than its worth. It appears to simply be a variable resistor between the temp sensor and ECU. I doubt you will see any beneficial outcomes and could potentially cause damage.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

That's exactly what I was thinking... I've looked into these chips several times, but everything I read online says they're a hoax, along the lines of electric superchargers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGWgvJN1_8) and that thing that plugs into the 12V outlet to boost efficiency (http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/24/increa ... dc-outlet/).
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

The cheap ones are just circuit boards with blinky lights that have absolutely no affect on the vehicle's performance. The wires you're supposed to connect the chips to are still linked & don't even go through any sort of augmentations. Most cases the circuit board just powers the blinky lights- basically they're just placebo doohickeys.
The expensive ones that actually do work can damage your engine or other car parts & cause electrical & computer failures for a measly extra horse or two under the hood.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Right... My thinking is, if it simply sits inline on a single sensor, and doesn't monitor anything else about the engine, connect to any other sensors, or even get power (I saw one that doesn't even tap into the sensor's power), it's definitely bogus.