Front Passenger Side Leak on Control Arm- Bushing?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

So I've had this issue for a bit now & just today seriously gut under the Baja with a flashlight to see where it's coming from. I've had a leak which drips right next to the front passenger side wheel. It appears to be directly coming from the control arm but the fluid looks like it's draining from inside the control arm. Could it be the control arm bushings leaking?
The liquid appears to be clear, with no smell, & feels like water- or at least a liquid with low viscosity, & little to no color.

(I'll post pics in a couple hours when I have access to my camera)
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

UPDATE: Got the tools out to find the source of the leak, turns out it doesn't look like it's the Bushing. There's liquid dripping from somewhere above & on to the bushing, from somewhere above the whole wheel assembly. I had a Subaru tech look at it a few months ago, but this was back in the middle of June during AC season & he told me it's probably just the AC dripping & it can form a pretty good sized puddle if parked on an angle so it'll all drain out. Problem is the baja does this even when I don't use the AC. I haven't seen any loss of brake, radiator, oil, or any other fluid in the engine bay in the past 5 month that I've owned the car. Any suggestions?
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Front Passenger Side Leak on Control Arm- Bushing?

Post by w.rohr »

Longshot but do you have a factory sunroof? If so the drain tube may have corroded or broke free some how and be draining onto something that just happens to exit there. Something similar happened to me with my Toyota truck.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

As far as I know it's the factory sunroof. If it is the sunroof it's got to have a ton of fluid in it because this has been leaking pretty much every day for 6 months- looks like about a cup amount comes out every time.
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

That is strange, a cup of clear liquid ever time you drive it and no fluids are low, it must be condensation from somewhere.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

I guess maybe defrosting the windshield in the morning for roughly 10 seconds causes it? :? Doesn't seem to do it as much if I'm driving around during the day, mostly just in the morning. Around here with the sudden change in temp being surrounded by water everywhere you go the windshield fogs up every time you go over a bridge or have the cars sitting overnight, especially when you get on the road before the sun comes up.
I guess I'm just not going to worry about it.

Congrats on your Baja by the way!