Speakers.

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Speakers.

Post by mikeeitup »

Is it just me or is it really hard to find connectors for the speakers? I ordered the wrong ones and now I can't seem to find the right ones at all. I hope I'm just blind and stupid. Help?
Mike
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Speakers.

Post by mikeeitup »

Ordered these. Will report back if they work or not!
Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201389383972?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

I don't think that is the right plug to connect to the harness in the car door. I've always just cut the harness off of the speakers that I take out.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I don't remember having a problem with connecting new speakers, but I don't remember what I did, since it was five years ago. If required, I can open up my door to check. Installed JBL GTO series 6.5" two-way speakers, i think.
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

anarchy1024 wrote:I don't remember having a problem with connecting new speakers, but I don't remember what I did, since it was five years ago. If required, I can open up my door to check. Installed JBL GTO series 6.5" two-way speakers, i think.
That is EXACTLY what I bought! GTO 628 if I remember correctly.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

mikeeitup wrote: That is EXACTLY what I bought! GTO 628 if I remember correctly.
Yup, pretty sure those are what I have, based on the photos I found on Google, and what I remember seeing. They sound much better than stock, but I'm still missing the depth that decent subs/woofers provide.
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

anarchy1024 wrote:
mikeeitup wrote: That is EXACTLY what I bought! GTO 628 if I remember correctly.
Yup, pretty sure those are what I have, based on the photos I found on Google, and what I remember seeing. They sound much better than stock, but I'm still missing the depth that decent subs/woofers provide.
That's what's up next. People were suggesting going with the underseat sub that subaru offers but I am going with something a little more meaty under the seat when funds show up. I'm taking on like 8 projects at a time with this car ugh. LOVE IT
Mike
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

lol yeah, I've got a few things I want to do when I get a bit of disposable cash. At the moment, I've got a 640W 4-channel amp under the passenger seat for the primary speakers. Where would you mount the amps if the sub is under the seat? One person mentioned placing a low-profile sub in the corner (front, side of the center console) of the passenger footwell. It's something he did for some of the show-class Porsches he worked on, and it looks like there might be enough space for a low-profile 6" or 8" sub without affecting legroom.
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

I am not really a fan of Kenwood products but they have an underseat sub amp combo that has the best output apparently for only 150 bucks. I think I'm gonna try that out.
Mike
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I had it left over from when I had my minivan, along with the JVC head unit. It was part of my project to install a tablet using as many spare/salvaged parts as possible. I think the only thing I bought were fuses; everything else I found around the house/garage.
Attachments
WP_20140111_040.jpg
WP_20140111_040.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 9523 times
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

IT'S A TESLA!!!!!!! A tesbaru!
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

Hey everyone just an update. The speaker connector adapters that I bought were a 100% working match! So happy. For reference and future lurkers the part is: Metra 72-8104. Hope this helps somebody out.
Mike
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

I installed one of the pair of the JBL GTO628's on the driver's side. Adjusted the radio to test right and left side sound and the factory speaker sounds like twice the speaker in sound and volume as compared to the new JBL? I'm not impressed. Am I missing something? Also, no sound coming from the rear doors. Are there supposed to be four speakers in these cars?
james
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Might not be balanced just because the speakers are different wattage. As far as the rear not working, it is common that the stock speakers just die.
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

bajaguy wrote:Might not be balanced just because the speakers are different wattage. As far as the rear not working, it is common that the stock speakers just die.
Excellent. Thanks for the details. I did notice that the JBL's are 2 ohm, the front factory are 4 ohm and the rear factory are 8 ohm. I replaced the other front right speaker and will pick up two more for the rear since I was able to temporarilly connect one of the fronts to the back and verify that the stereo is fine and the speakers are indeed blown.
Thanks again!