Baja 2005 Turbo piston knocking

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Beera
Scoobytruck Lurker

Baja 2005 Turbo piston knocking

Post by Beera »

So my husband and I bought a 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo months ago, sadly out of the blue the piston started knocking and I took it to a mechanic who told me it needs a new engine and would be $4800 to fix. I still owe $7500 on this car :( Literally when I got the car I put $1500 of work into it and was told I'd have a great car for years to come, now I'm being told "you bought a Subaru? Those are crap!" and it's pissing me off.

Of course I balked at that number the mechanic gave me, and I had it towed to my house, and now it's just sitting there.

Obviously I need a car, can anyone please help me figure this out?

I'm in Southern California, I've been told I can put in a non-turbo engine, I've been told other Subaru engines fit, etc. Does anyone know this to be the case? If I could get away with spending less and get the car fixed that would be much better than having to fork out money for an entirely new car. SO whatever is put into the car needs to eventually be able to pass smog.

Oh BTW if you can be more specific on what engines, years, etc, that would be very beneficial as I'm not mechanically savvy.

Thank you.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Baja 2005 Turbo piston knocking

Post by Guacamole »

Did you take it to a licensed Subaru mechanic?
I'm not very tech savvy either, so the only thing I can suggest would be to check over the paperwork you have from whomever you purchased the vehicle from. If it's from an auto dealer maybe there's a fine print agreement where you can get your money back or something. Also, if you have an aftermarket warranty or gap insurance I'd file a claim on those pronto if it covers the engine. Not much help but it's all I can suggest.
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

Don't panic. Sounds like a shop that isn't familiar with Subaru's, rather than admit they don't know what they're doing they throw out a huge price to scare you away. Find another shop that has some Soon experience. There are some noises that sound like the engine is shot, but are nothing but noise. It doesn't need to be a dealership, there are many independant garages around that do quality work.

Is this the same shop that did $1500 when you got it?

If you can't find a shop by talking to coworkers and neighbors, post on ultimatesubaru.org/forum in the Meet/greet. Introduce yourself and ask if anyone has garage suggestions in your area.
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zombaja »

I bought my 06 Baja Turbo in late March last year. Last week of November it baked a valve, and took out a piston.

I'm looking at a bit more than $4500 when it's all done. All new block, heads, valves, cam pulleys-ported and polished, etc.

At least I bought the car in full at the time. and got a decent enough deal that by the time I add up the costs, it'll be sorta close to what Turbos have been selling for.

Speaking of which, it's time to go over and nag the mechanic and get progress.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

If you have a recording/video of the sound, it might help diagnose the problem. (Of course, if the engine is so bad that starting it risks further damage, I guess don't do it.) I had a problem where there was an alarming knocking sound that sounded like the pistons or something scary and expensive. Ended up being the automatic tensioner for the timing belt was defective (although it was only two weeks old). Replaced it, and the noise went away.

Maybe you can get a second opinion from some Subaru performance shops... there are so many in So Cal. I personally went to COBB Tuning, just to ask some questions about possible upgrades for my car, and they were super helpful, even though I didn't buy anything (https://www.google.com/maps/place/COBB+ ... db2c9b7960). They may not be the least expensive option, but they have a reputation for doing the job right, and not lying about parts that need to be replaced.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Also, $4,800 USD for a new engine seems a bit steep... I got a new engine for mine (non-Turbo, though), including building it, installation, tank of gas, taxes, etc. for $2,500 CAD. But I think I got a really good deal on that; not sure what the average cost is.

In terms of replacing the engine with a different type (e.g. from a Turbo to a non-Turbo) to save money, that may not work out. Even though the engine mounts, transmission, etc. should line up physically, the wiring is likely different, and the ECU (computer) is definitely different.
2005bajat
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 2005bajat »

You might consider giving Suby Specialties in Monrovia.
Beera
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Beera »

Thanks for all the responses.

Nope, no warranty, bought it from a private person who said a friend owed him money and gave him the car. The mechanic I took it to said the seals needed to be redone on the engine and so that's the $1500 I put into it (so I had talked them down from asking price). Mechanic told me I'd have a good car for years... *sigh* I thought okay, my original price of $8500 (after all the fees associated with getting the car registered and so on, I borrowed the money from a credit union) plus $1500 put into it, that's $10k, good deal for Southern CA on a truck with 107k miles. I've seen these things go for $12-13k online and I thought it would be nice to buy my husband a car he's always loved :(

The shop I took it to is AAA certified so I'm thinking I might be able to call AAA and say I've lost all the money I put into it, can I be reimbursed at least for parts since those have a warranty and now I've got a paperweight?

The car starts, but it idles at very low rpms and when you press the gas it barely moves. It makes a knocking sound that is louder/faster when you hit the gas.

I live in San Diego so going so far north of me just really isn't easy right now :( There is a subaru dealer a few miles away from me, but I figured they'd also just tell me a price higher than $4800 so didn't even bother with them.

I have another mechanic coming to look at it on Thursday, I'll see what he thinks. He told me he thought $4800 was too much and that he would give me a better deal (he's a friend of the family and owns a shop).

Problem is looking for rebuilt turbo engines online, cheapest I've found is $3600. That's crazy.

I don't care what engine I put in it as long as it can pass smog and work lol. But if putting in another engine will cause a slew of other problems then I'd rather not do any work on it and sell for a loss.
Beera
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Beera »

hocrest wrote:Don't panic. Sounds like a shop that isn't familiar with Subaru's, rather than admit they don't know what they're doing they throw out a huge price to scare you away. Find another shop that has some Soon experience. There are some noises that sound like the engine is shot, but are nothing but noise. It doesn't need to be a dealership, there are many independant garages around that do quality work.

Is this the same shop that did $1500 when you got it?

If you can't find a shop by talking to coworkers and neighbors, post on ultimatesubaru.org/forum in the Meet/greet. Introduce yourself and ask if anyone has garage suggestions in your area.
This might be the case as the mechanic said "don't fix it." And I tried seeing what Peddle would give me and they said $1000. I had some bites on craigslist but they wanted to give me $2k, I really can't afford to eat $5500 right now AND look for another car. :(
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Well, I guess let's see what the mechanic says tomorrow; no need to get too worried, yet :). If you do end up starting the car when the mechanic comes over, try to get a decent recording (audio and video). Maybe there's someone here, or on other boards, who'd be able to assist.

Do you have a repair/maintenance history for the car? Any idea what the last repair was, and when it was done?

Would the dealer that you mentioned at least look at it for free? Or maybe show the video to the technician, and see what (s)he says.
Beera
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Beera »

anarchy1024 wrote:Well, I guess let's see what the mechanic says tomorrow; no need to get too worried, yet :). If you do end up starting the car when the mechanic comes over, try to get a decent recording (audio and video). Maybe there's someone here, or on other boards, who'd be able to assist.

Do you have a repair/maintenance history for the car? Any idea what the last repair was, and when it was done?

Would the dealer that you mentioned at least look at it for free? Or maybe show the video to the technician, and see what (s)he says.
Nope, sadly I know nothing about the past history besides the carfax that says no accidents/clean title.

I will try to get the mechanic to record the sound at least (I won't be home when he comes by).

I'm starting to think the guy who sold me the car knew it was about to go :(
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Wonder if the most recent repair was done properly... If they didn't properly torque the bolts, align the timing belt, etc., or if they damaged something during the reassembly, it could cause problems months after the service is complete. I had a cam shaft break on an '89 Voyager a month or two after replacement, likely because the bolts weren't torqued to spec (or so I've been told).
Beera
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Beera »

I really have no idea, it was a shop recommended by AAA.

My mom's friend's son owns a mechanic shop. He is willing to do it for $2500. I told him go for it. I'm sitting on a paperweight anyways. He also asked if I minded letting them tear up the engine and try to rebuild it themselves. I said be my guest, can't get any worse. He does agree the diagnosis from the previous shop is correct. I didn't tell him what it was, just said it was knocking and he came with some equipment to look at it while I was at work.

He did say he found an engine but wants to look at the engine himself since we aren't in too much of a hurry.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Well, $2500 sounds more reasonable... Hopefully that's all there is to it. Not sure if there's anything else that they can do while they have it apart... transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant change... check the clutch if it's a manual... injector actuation and spray pattern check since they might need to remove the injectors, anyway... Just thinking, if there are some just-in-case things they can do while the engine is apart, and while they have it in the shop. Especially since you don't have a history for the vehicle.
Beera
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Beera »

Well if anyone wants an update, I had the car fixed and it's good as new. Works great, I drive it weekly (I'll explain below).

Bad news is my husband's disability has taken a turn for the worse and now he is unable to work anymore. So now I have to sell the car. We have only driven this car 1,000 miles since we purchased it less than a year ago. My husband is now going to be going on permanent disability, he can no longer drive nor stand all day, he basically stays home with our son (no more daycare, can't afford it on one salary and the small amount he's getting on the short term disability) and my mom and MIL come by 1-2 times a week to help out with caring for my son and husband.

I tried putting it up on craigslist and the highest offer I have gotten is $6500, that is with the person who looked at it knowing all the work I have put into it. Everyone else tells me considering all I've done I should be able to get $10,000. I asked for $8,000. KBB said even in fair condition I should get at least $7.5k. IMO it is in better than fair condition.

Unfortunately I do not have the title, so I'm taking the ad down for now, my mom has offered to let me borrow what I owe on the car. I'm going to get the title then relist it and give it a good wash and put it back up.

I've looked in my area, there are two other cars, 2005s, owned by dealers, and one with 180k miles is going for $9k at the dealer (mine has 122k miles) and the second car doesn't have the mileage listed but they want $13k for it!

Anyways, if anyone knows someone desperate for a Baja in Southern CA send me a PM.